Author Topic: 20 mo old lo fights nap when big brother is home  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
20 mo old lo fights nap when big brother is home
« on: March 24, 2018, 17:17:27 pm »
My lo never wants to nap on The weekend when his brother is home.  Big brother has a lot of days off of school coming up and the there’s the summer coming soon too I’m afraid he’ll end up dropping his nap young. When older one was never a good napper but this guy is when he does nap he sleeps for 2 hours. I’m so anxious I’ll have another child who drops their nap at 2! But this time  around it will really be hard having both kids up all day with no down time. Any tips. ?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 20 mo old lo fights nap when big brother is home
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 09:20:03 am »
I haven't had this myself (only one child) but when mine dropped his nap I wondered how I would get through an entire day without any break at all.  I used the TV/DVD at times, he needed some zone out and relax time and the TV seemed to provide that and gave me a breather.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 11:31:53 am »
could you do a quiet time for both of them at the younger one's nap time, by themselves in their rooms?  That way your DS2 perhaps wouldn't feel like he was missing out and may still nap?  (And, perhaps more importantly, you'd still get some quiet time!).

Or could it be the kind of thing where you may get some resistance to the nap plan at first with your DS2, when DS1 is at home for the holidays, but if you still consistently offer the nap, then after a few times he will accept that he still has to have a nap/quiet time and stop resisting?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 17:19:46 pm »
I’m going to try and hope for the best ! I just found out also that kindergarten is only a half day and my son will be done by 130! Now I’m really at a loss as to what to do for 20 month old nap. I know as they get older their nap gets later but is there any way to keep the nap as early as possible ?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 08:52:52 am »
Mine couldn't do an early nap, he would have just woken earlier and earlier in the morning. I suppose if you don't mind early BT and early WU then early nap would work okay.
Other people find they can do a short nap early on but from what I remember of your LO he needs the longer A time.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 09:25:19 am »
how do you get to/from kindergarten to collect your son?  could your DS2 nap on the way? e.g. if you went for a longer walk or drove and parked for him to finish his nap?

or would he last until after collection for a later nap?  you might have to cap it though to preserve BT
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 10:55:55 am »
As of now he wakes around 7 naps 1245-230 asleep by 7/730. But I’m sure come September he might need his nap even later or will he?  Do they typically handle more and more A time as they get older ?
Not sure yet about school pick up he might get bused which I’m hoping! But he definitely won’t nap in the car or stroller. He’s a great napper but only in his crib.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 19:16:18 pm »
 And now I just found out we will be moving beginning to mid May which means I’ll need to drive and pick up my son from school which is a good 15 minute ride and he’s done at 1:30 right when the baby is napping !! Now what are my options ?! Ugh

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 17:18:23 pm »
So this weekend lo resisted naps as usual because big brother was home. He ended up sleeping 1.5 hours sat and only 1 hour Sunday. He usually does a 2 hour nap 1230-230 This weekend he didn’t fall asleep until 1! Today i still tried for 1230 but he didn’t fall asleep until 1. Hoping we get more than an hour today! Should i Just try to not put him down until 1 tomorrow? He usually wakes around 7 am and asleep by 730. He’s always been a good napper and sleeper so I was hoping he wouldn’t give up naps this young as he’s not even 21 months yet! Part of me is missing my down time when big brother is in school and lo would nap I could clean and cook etc. now I’m down to maybe 45 to myself all day. I’m being selfish lol