Author Topic: Naptime during school pick up  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: March 28, 2018, 04:36:29 am »
My 20 month old Naps around 1245/1 for about 2 hours and my older one finishes school at 130 and will need to be picked up for 130. How I do this !

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Naptime during school pick up
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 17:20:48 pm »
The whole day might need to be pushed out.  My DD naps at 1pm also, but she can make it until 1:30/45 if need be.  Nap would be later, BT probably later also, and then perhaps a later WU too.  It would take a bit for his body to adjust but I think it's possible.  The trick would be keeping him awake in the car, so maybe pack a snack or something?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 18:34:23 pm »
Like today he woke at 630 he was exhausted by nap and passed out at 1230 and is still asleep at 230 he’ll make any minute. But I just can’t figure out how to do it. It’s such a good routine I’d hate to change it. My older one goes up to bed at 745 and is asleep by 815. We have some nice quality time with the older one as well once lo goes up to bed at 7/715. The later wake isn’t great either because from now through the summer I’ll need to drive big one to camp at 8. So I’m just not sure how this will work. It will be for a few weeks that I’ll need to pick older one up by 130 and then the summer either he’s home or at camp until 330 and with school I can do extended day until 330 or he’s done at 130 but will be taking the bus if let out early. I’m just afraid of tweeting his schedule for a few weeks because I’ll need to change it back again. This is hard !

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 17:54:27 pm »
I just found out kindergarten has an Aftercare program and they bus them home after at 330. Just wondering if that’s too long of a day for a 5 year old. His preschool now is 830-130 so really it’s 2 extra hours compared to what he’s doing now. Any thoughts ?

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 18:13:11 pm »
Not in my world...my DS is on the bus at 7:50am, at school from 8-2:45pm, then to daycare after school until we pick him up at 4:45pm.  He's been doing this for 2 years now.  Here in Ontario they start school at 4yrs and it's full day.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 19:12:57 pm »
My DS1 was at Nursery from 11 months going 7.30am-5pm and when he started school at 4.5 yrs he was in wrap around from 7.30-5pm and still is! So many kids here have long days and both mine have coped fine x
Zoe

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 16:18:07 pm »
Looks like I’m still going go have 2.5 weeks of having to pick him up for school at 130 so we will be in car from 110-150. How will i get my 21 month old to nap? If I push him to 2 nap for two weeks he’ll likely change his routine and 2 pm nap is not ideal.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 18:19:55 pm »
U guess you don’t really have much choice if that’s the time it’s got to be then you’ll have to go with it for a couple of weeks then try moving back.
Zoe

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 18:38:46 pm »
Do you think 2 weeks is enough time for him to change his nap time? I’m going to regret this.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 19:44:09 pm »
Do you think 2 weeks is enough time for him to change his nap time? I’m going to regret this.

Who knows! As Zoe said, if you haven't got a choice you'll just have to roll with it for the 2 weeks and get back into the routine you want once you don't need to do the pick up. I wouldn't worry to much about it - it's a waste of energy if you can't change it. Kids are resilient you will find a way that works as well as it can, if it doesn't then it's just 2 weeks and you just do the best you can.

Laura

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 21:11:27 pm »
I’ve had to vary nap time to suit school runs for last year and DS2 has survived! In fact these last 2 days he’s decided he’s not napping at home so we’ve had to just go go with it when we go out in the car. As Laura says no point worrying about something you can’t change. Before you know it you’ll be cutting the nap down.
Zoe

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 10:58:38 am »
Thanks everyone ! At what age do you typically cut the nap down ?

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 14:22:08 pm »
Thanks everyone ! At what age do you typically cut the nap down ?

When the nap starts interfering with bedtime and night sleep. For my DD it was 2.5yo but for others it can be closer to 4. Depends on the individual really!

Laura

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 21:59:20 pm »
I wonder if at some point the little one will be up later than the big one! Lol
My older one droppped naps completely at 2! I’m hoping this kid hangs on a little longer than that!
I wonder when they will be both start going to bed at the same time and what that will look like. 

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 06:32:45 am »
My eldest could do with an earlier bt than youngest some days but rarely happens we just end up doing 1 child each at same time.
Everything is just a phase that’s what I say when things keep changing  ;D
Zoe

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 18:30:53 pm »
I wonder when they will be both start going to bed at the same time and what that will look like. 

That's up to you really - mine have had the same bedtime since DD was born, Ds was 2.5 at the time, they have never known any different. We did one child each until she was about 1 then DH just carried on with both of them and got them both to bed.

Laura

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 01:56:24 am »
I’m having the same problem with summercamp. They all run from 930-130 which makes it impossible for me to pick up older one because it’s right at little ones nap!