Author Topic: 8mo back to 3 (short) naps - advice needed!  (Read 2295 times)

Offline mulvia

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
8mo back to 3 (short) naps - advice needed!
« on: April 02, 2018, 13:24:22 pm »
Hello! I have looked around the forum and it seems quite a common phase...DS2 has started taking short naps (mostly 45 min) so on days when he would be awake too long I have reintroduced a catnap before dinner. Of course it throws BT out as well, with the last couple of nights being really hard to settle.
I think it's because of short A times, but he gives clear tired signs starting from 2.5 or even 2hrs...if I put him down 'when he wants', I get a 45 min nap, If I stretch him a bit, maybe 15 mins, I get 30 or even less  ???
I'm trying to give him a break because in the last month there's been traveling, jet-lag, ear infection, learning to crawl and possibly teeth coming, but I would like not to make it his new standard...YKWIM  ;D

Today as an example:
wu7
s 9.45
awake 10.30
s 13.15
awake 14
With BT usually being around 7, would you do that last catnap or would you just go for superE BT? And if he does nap, should I keep it to, say, 20 min?

When he wakes he whines a bit, but as soon as I get him up he's happy and ready to go...impossible to resettle.
He seems to take a bit longer A time as the day goes on, but he also dozes off in the car or pram if we're out so it's hard to account for everything.

Thanks for any tips!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 8mo back to 3 (short) naps - advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 18:52:38 pm »
Quite often those tired signs can be boredom so they are indicating the need for a change of scene or activity. They really can look very tired but if you move to a different room or present an object he hasn't seen before he could well perk up.
I'd go for an A of at least 3hrs if not a bit more.  If you feel that this length is going to produce an OT nap, waking crying at 30 mins as you mentioned, then I would be in his room before this happens either with a hand on him or a hand hovering over him 1cm away ready to pat/rub/rock with firm hand and use either shush or a key phrase to help sooth him back to sleep before he has a chance to call out or cry.
It may take several days before he gets back into a routine of sleeping longer naps but with the longer A time he will feel more tired and you have a better chance, don't worry too much about build up of OT whilst you move to a more suitable routine, the OT can actually work in your favour to help establish the longer naps.

After a CN and no resettle waking at 2 pm I'd probably be more likely to go for another CN and then a later BT if needed, maybe CN 4.30 - 5pm and BT 7.30/8pm.

hope this helps

Offline mulvia

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 21:11:05 pm »
It really does (at least in my head)! I will try with these things in mind and hopefully we can get back on track soon, thank you so much!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 08:42:22 am »
You're welcome.
I should also have mentioned, sometimes when they need perking up a snack can help - if solids are established a little snack can help. If solids are not yet at the point where snacks would be suitable then go for the change of scene or activity and just keep in mind that at a later age a snack can be introduced to help with energy levels through longer A times.

Let us know how it goes.

Offline mulvia

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 20:29:44 pm »
WELL, I'm afraid to say it out loud but today was pretty close to perfect!

WU 7.15
S 10.20
awake at 11.50
S 14.40
awake 16
BT 19.15

Hopefully not just a fluke, but a great start! I went back to work today and DH said DS2 was great all morning - turned a little cranky since I got back but he slept very well and he also resettled himself twice, which hadn't happened in weeks. He's sharing a room with toddler brother so I suppose we tend to jump in rather quickly to avoid double trouble...

I think I remember that when the routine isn't right, night sleep is also affected? He has been harder to get back to sleep when NW (2-3 times per night) and can get pretty restless; he ends up taking a feed nearly every time, but I don't think he uses it as a prop, since sometimes he feeds and releases and then goes back in the crib awake and off to sleep with his paci and toy. Could SA be also in the mix at this age?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 08:04:45 am »
SA could be in the mix, yes, and the BF at night sounds pretty normal for either hunger (GS perhaps) or comfort if you are not around in the day so he might want a bit more time with you in the night. But it sounds like he's going back down ok.

Sorry for the late reply, I've hurt my back and not been on line. I may be missing several days.  If you need support I suggest starting a new thread to get new eyes whilst I am not so well.
Good luck