Author Topic: 11 months nw out of the blue... help!!  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 04, 2018, 02:47:00 am »
Hello all! Babes is 11 months old. We have been down to one nap a day for quiet sometime now. Typical sleep schedule is wake 7/7:30, nap at 11:30 for 1:30hrs. Usually waking at 1. Bedtime is at 6:30/7 depending on when he woke. Typically we do 5 hrs or 5:15hrs of activity time. He is just getting over his double ear infection . But now he goes to bed at 7:7 somewhere I’m between and he treats his sleep as a nap. We never had that problem before and most of this week he has been up until 8:9pm if I’m Lucky and he won’t settle any earlier. Any ideas as to what it could be? Or why this had all of a sudden started ?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 11 months nw out of the blue... help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 06:35:55 am »
We have been down to one nap a day for quiet sometime now.
How long is quite some time?

Sometimes babies go over to one nap quite early like this and have to go back to 2 naps because they get OT. This happened to me with my DS at around this age and he was doing wonderfully then the OT issues with sleep started. We went back to 2 naps and he finally went to 1 nap for good at ~14 months.

I would perhaps try and EBT of say 5:30/6pm and see if he will tack on to his night sleep. Has he been low sleep needs all along?

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:47:11 am »
Hey! I should also say when he does settle he’s asleep for the whole night. Yes he has been low sleep needs, he was always on th high side for long activity times. He has been on one nap a day for about Almost 2 months now if not longer. See with the late bed times there is days where I do give 2 naps to have himncatch up in his sleep but it isn’t often. When that happens it’s at 10 and then again at 3 but I cap the nap at 3 to 30 mins. Then final bedtime is about 8pm. I guess the problem is some days the second nap won’t happen until 3... even 4 and than sometimes he just won’t go to bed until really late like 8 even 9. Yesterday his day was up at 7:30, nap from 11:30-2 ( this was a great nap, he usually does 1:30) then bedtime was 7. But he was up 30 mins later so hubby feed him and he just kept eating, even I feed him again at 8:30 and bed was 9. He also had a super good supper too. Bit puzzling trying to figure it out.

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 21:08:25 pm »
I think I remember you guys now.

See with the late bed times there is days where I do give 2 naps to have himncatch up in his sleep but it isn’t often.
By doing this, I think perhaps you're perpetuating the short nights(getting an extra 30min nap in at the expense of 1-1.5hr night sleep) and maybe making OT worse... Perhaps try a slightly earlier BT instead, 30mins might be enough. He may just need a slightly longer night whilst he's recovering from the infection and may go back to what he was doing before once he's better.

Is he mastering a new gross motor skill? Mine always ate astonishing amounts when he was doing that. I had him eating every 1.5-2hr through the day.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 02:05:55 am »
Yes it is us! Lol
He has been eating a bit on the last few days so he could be? I will try for an early bedtime by 30 mins so if he wakes from his nap at say 1:30, I will put him down at 6 rather then 6:30.

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 08:20:50 am »
Let us know how you go :)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 02:24:42 am »
Hey there!
He has done well! I moved his bedtime up a bit and that seems to have solved the issue. However,
I do have a question pertaining to naps and being sick. Recently he is fighting off a bad virus with a temp of 39.7/40 with a bad cough for the last 2 days. Last night he was up from 4:00-5:45am before he finally feel asleep and slept til 8:45am. The day before he was sick so I just decided to go with 2 naps and he slept from 9am- 12:45pm which never happens! Obviously he is very socks. Today I put him down from 11:45-2:15.... I went in and woke him as I didn’t want the same thing the night before to happen. Today he went to bed at 7 and 9:30 he was up but no fever... it’s now 11:23 and I’ve done everything to get him to go back to bed. Gave him more Tylenol, feed him, gave soother etc. When he is sick should I just let him sleep and wake him after 2 hours?

Offline becj86

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 21:57:00 pm »
Things all go out the window a bit with illness. Generally just do what you can, I'd not wake him while he's really ill and miserable with it. He will need more sleep as he fights off the virus. Keep in mind that he will probably get better gradually so sleep  can be off for a few days after his fevers are gone.