Author Topic: Nearly 11 months and early morning wake ups - what to do??  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Serenede

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi there DS is now nearly 11 months and for the past couple of weeks we have been having early morning wake ups. I think we are nearing the 2-1 nap transition but we are not quite there yet. However if he woke a bit later in the mornings we probably would be! Our routine looks something like this.

WU- 5.15am
PU- 6am ( this is difficult as he gets upset so have to stay with him to reassure)
Nap 1- usually around 9.45 for no more than 15 mins (can’t make this any later as then I can’t get him down for next nap)
Nap 2- 1-3pm (have to fit this one in before school pick up)
BT- 7.15 asleep by 7.30pm

He is definitely tired in the mornings and would go back to bed at 9am if I let him so I don’t think the night is long enough. I’ve tried to resettle at 5.15am but doesn’t work. I’ve tried WTS the last three mornings, first day he slept on until 6.45am, second morning didn’t work and third morning he woke fully when I went in at 4.30am but went back off fairly quickly until 6am. We have previously had 11 hour nights which I think works best for him and a wake up of 6.30am is ideal. Any ideas how we get back to this? I have also tried a later bedtime of 8pm but doesn’t help so tonight I’ve tried earlier bedtime of 7pm. Would like to keep the main nap at lunchtime as this seems to work best for our routine. Please help.....feeling exhausted!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Nearly 11 months and early morning wake ups - what to do??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:39:43 am »
Hello - sorry your post has been missed - how are things now?

Offline Serenede

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 21:29:36 pm »
Hi, thanks for checking in. Well things seem to have improved by moving to one nap. The last three mornings he has woken between 6.15 and 6.40am and I’ve been giving him lunch at 11.30am then putting him down around 12.15/12.30. We have had two days of 45 minute naps but we’re able to resettle and today was 1.5 hours but he was still tired. Is this just due to the change in routine or should I be doing something different? Thanks

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 19:37:38 pm »
That sounds good and common for the 2-1.  It often takes a good few weeks to settle out completely :)  Don't be afraid to give (very) early bedtimes if needed or to throw in some two nap days if he's really getting overtired.  On days mine woke early we'd often head out in the car around 9/9.30am and let them have a quick 15 minute catnap just to get them through the morning to the longer afternoon nap (still put down for that one at about the same time).  Best advice I can give is just to hang in there - it might be a bit messy for a while but it will settle down and usually for a good few months/years....until they start dropping it altogether! ;)

Offline Serenede

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 14:00:52 pm »
Thank you! Yes we needed up with a two nap day on Friday as he woke early but he did sleep well still at lunchtime and didnt wake early the following day. Good to know that we are going about things in the right way  :) 7am is so much better than 5.15am!!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 17:36:06 pm »
Oh yes!