Author Topic: 5.5 month old waking at 5:30am every day  (Read 1231 times)

Offline HELENG85

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 10, 2018, 14:23:43 pm »
Dear fellow mums, my little boy is 5.5 months old, bottle fed and generally a good sleeper as he sleeps on his own at 7:30pm every day (no dream feed). However i dont know what to do to make him sleep past 5:30am - he wakes up happily talking to himself but then within 10mins becomes grumpy and wont calm down unless i feed him. It is then quite hard to put him back to sleep, usually not before 6:30-7am...

I am EXHAUSTED, how can i make him sleep until at least 6:30am please? He is a quite big boy weighing already 8.5kg so i am wondering whether it is genuine hunger that wales him up? Should i give him some baby rice before bedtime to help him feel fuller?

During the day he goes falls asleep for his naps very easily at 9am, 12pm and 4pm.
Morning and afternoon nap are 45min and unfortunately also at lunchtime he wakes up still tired after 45mins and i have to rock him back to sleep to complete the 2h nap.
Is this too much? Too little? I have tried removing the afternoon nap but it was impossible to keep him awake all the way through to bed time.

Any advice will be most welcomed. Thank u so much!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 5.5 month old waking at 5:30am every day
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 06:14:59 am »
Hi and welcome, I'm sorry you've been waiting for a reply.  Have you seen this? https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=253524.0

A feed at that time of the morning is very common for his age - if he has no other feeds at night I'd definitely be offering.  Do you feed in a dark room with minimal interaction and put him straight back down?  Does he need help to go to sleep normally or is he able to settle himself?

I wouldn't particularly go for baby rice.  It's tough on little tummies and has very little nutritional value - plus usual advice is to wait until 6 months for solids (unless baby is showing other signs of readiness for weaning).  I suspect it probably won't help your situation very much and may cause you more issues from a tummy discomfort point of view.

Routine-wise it sound like you may be headed for the 3-2 nap transition, but you may need to adjust things a bit to get there.  It's unlikely he'd be able to go from 2pm-7.30pm without a nap, so we'd probably suggest moving naps later to prevent having that big stretch to bedtime.  There's a post on the 3-2 here: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=246541.0

Do you want to have a read through and then come back if you have any questions?