Author Topic: 15 months and 2.5 hour wake ups in the night  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Jpbaby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
15 months and 2.5 hour wake ups in the night
« on: July 31, 2018, 11:52:09 am »
Hello! My son turned 15 months on July 21st. Ever since about 2 weeks ago, he started waking up in the middle of the night at different times, could be 11 pm, 12 am, 3:30 am or 4:30. He did it once before he turned 15 months, and every night for a week now. He wakes up and won’t go to sleep for over 2 hours. We are exhausted!!!
Before,he was a great sleeper, because  we put him on easy since he was born. He can sleep up to 11 straight hours. Some nights if he would wake up at night it would be for a quick feed and back to sleep right away. 
But now, no matter what we do he won’t settle. Not the breast or bottle (I bottle fed him last night to see if he was hungry and drank no more than 3 oz), not cuddles, definitely no pu/pd or patting, not sleeping on my chest, nothing. He falls asleep and wakes again at 5 min, 10 min, 20 min. After so many times of trying to fall asleep and crying, he ends up so exhausted he can’t settle at all.
I know this sounds crazy and like I am all over the place, but I had to try all of this things because the usual feed, didn’t work. Or the put down, cause usually if he stands on the crib I just keep putting him down, but he was truly infuriated!
So now it’s been 4 straight nights and I sure have no clue on how to tackle this one. I can’t remember my other two children having gone through these. I may add he was teething at the beginning but now his teeth broke in.
His routine yesterday looked like this:
W/u 8 am and breastfeed
9 am breakfast
Play time
1 pm nap
3:30 pm lunch
Play time
5 pm bottle 6 oz
Play time
6:30 dinner
7:30 bedtime routine
8 pm bedtime took him 30 min to settle si asleep by 8:30

Night wake up st 3:30 am
Just went down at 5:40 am
Please advice, I don’t want to turned this into something even bigger.
One more detail, I’ve been weaning him off the breast also because I have a trip coming up in August and I will have to leave him for 10 days. He seems to be transitioning well!
Thank you so much!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 15 months and 2.5 hour wake ups in the night
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 14:53:27 pm »
Hi does he have a 2.5 hour nap? The WU could be UT maybe try shifting BT 30 mins later or WU 30 mins in the morning!?
Zoe

Offline Jpbaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 15:03:46 pm »
Yes, he’s been napping for 2 hours 20 or 30 minutes lately!
How long should his A time be at this age? He’s doing 5 hours from waking till nap or bedtime, but this past week I could tell it was taking longer for him to fall asleep too, so I was unsure if it was time to extend his A time.
I am always so afraid of letting him be up for too long! Could he be ready for 5.5hours of A time? 
Also, his wake up time isn’t usually at 8. He’s waking up so late because he’s been up in the middle of the night .
Thank you so much for your reply’

Offline Jpbaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 15:07:48 pm »
One more thing, what would be a possible routine example for him at this age?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 19:14:37 pm »
Well all lo’s vary a bit with their A times and to be honest a lot go into set nap/BT routine at this age but pushing A time by 20/30 mins won’t be huge shock at this age so try it for a few days or go to set naps and maybe push BT a little.

For me DS1 did WU 6.30 nap 12-2.30pm BT 7.45pm but DS2 did WU 6.45/7 CN 20 mins 9.30am then nap 1-2.30pm BT 7.30.

Generally at this age they need a 13 hour day some need longer if they like super long naps.
Zoe

Offline Jpbaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 04:28:48 am »
Thank you very much, you have no idea how much I appreciate your advise!!!
I’ll go ahead and tweak his routine!!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 05:46:04 am »
Fingers crossed it’s just a blip, keep us posted x
Zoe