Author Topic: 12 month schedule trouble  (Read 3358 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 12 month schedule trouble
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 20:52:02 pm »
Hi, sorry you've not had any recent replies.
My first thought would be that his routine doesn't look typical of a LSNs baby so may be he is undertired at bedtime and in the night if you believe he's LSNs. Perhaps pushing bedtime a bit later would help. Or would he prefer you to put him down? Are you breastfeeding him at bedtime? Does that not help him settle? Is he having any night feeds?

Also, please know that it's very common for babies this age to have night wakings. There are lots of developmental milestones and leaps going on which disturb sleep.  This is a prime age for separation anxiety to ramp up.  This is especially common for babies who are away from their mothers during the day, and particularly when breastfed. To protect the nursing supply and the relationship they do something called reverse cycling.  They wake and are compelled to nurse and check mum is there. It's to make up for lost time during the day and to touch base. That's probably why he likes to feel your hand on him.  He's enjoying the comfort the touch is providing. It's all very normal. Tiring but normal 😊

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline robinsegg

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 02:54:18 am »
Thanks for your reply.  He has seemed to like a longer awake time before bed so maybe we should stretch that out.  Should we be aiming for a 13 hour day?             

It could be separation  anxiety.   He is quite clingy to me although on nights I put him to bed he cries and resists sleep for me as well.   If I put him to bed I feed him before we read books.  I try not to feed him at night but sometimes he's fed up to 2 times.

Should we continue to provide physical reassurance right now in the night and wait until this passes to work on more independence? I'm sure his canines will be coming soon.  His sleep has always been different levels of bad and there always seems to be something to blame.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 12 month schedule trouble
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 16:22:28 pm »
Yes definitely I'd continue providing the reassurance at night.  It's common to still breastfeed at night at this age. My middle two did .

And yes if he's LSN he may need a longer day. I'd increase it gradually though not in one big leap. Perhaps 10-15 minutes every couple of days?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011