Author Topic: Where do I place the crib?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline claudia.mondragon

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 17, 2018, 07:05:38 am »
 A good friend of mine gave me one of Tracy's book and I have been studying it for 3 days now. My baby is to arrive any day now and I have a question I can't find in the book yet... We had the idea of setting up her crib (traveler crib with stages) in our room so that she has an independent space to sleep on since day one but we can be there if she cries or for midnight feeds until we can adjust to the EASY program; I have red the part about co-sleeping and I understand it's not something we want for our family, so I need to ask, could it be possible to have her sleep in our room, in her crib for the first month and then move the crib to her room without disrupting her? Or should we set the crib in her room and sleep in her room with her for the first month? Or should I abandon the thought all together and set the crib in her room and let her sleep alone from day one? (This last option breaks my heart) I am concerned about SIDS mostly wich is why our intention was to have her in our room, and as new parents we are afraid to leave her alone with her being  so small, but we feel creating good sleeping habits for her is also a priority for us. Is it possible to make an easy transition from one room to the other if we are using the same crib and have managed to establish a good routine for her? Please help us before we do any accidental parenting 😓

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Where do I place the crib?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 08:09:36 am »
You can most definitely have her sleep in her crib in your room for ideally the first 6 months according to SIDS guidelines as far as I recall. If you're going to then move the same crib into her own room, I don't foresee many issues moving it as it is her familiar safe sleeping space.

Please keep in mind that a little AP here and there isn't the end of the world. Perhaps have a little read around the concept of the fourth trimester.

Offline claudia.mondragon

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 12:58:20 pm »
Thank you so, so much for your reply, I have been struggling with this!! I will check the 4th trimester info as recommended!! Thank you!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 10:07:32 am »
Hello and welcome to BW :)
I am kind of jealous you found the BW book before your LO arrives as I would have loved to have read it when I had all that TIME on my hands and wasn't so exhausted form looking after a new born!!  On the other hand...as bec has said a little APOP (accidental parenting on purpose we call it) isn't the end of the world.  A new born instinctively knows that the safest place is to be with mummy or daddy, you might find it hard to get LO down for any sleeps in the cot but don't beat yourself up about it. Every second you hold your baby you build the bond of trust, and that's the bond that you will strengthen every time you help your baby, cuddle your baby and be there when your baby calls for you.  Ultimately it is that bond of trust which helps to teach a baby they are safe to go to sleep on their own because Mummy (or daddy) will always always come back when needed.
The BW books can sound quite serious about getting things right from day one - but the ethos of BW is also that you are *always* there for your baby when she needs you, those two things can sound a bit contradictory but just keep in mind that you are building the foundations of trust, the bond and as bec said it's not the end of the world if you APOP.

I believe Tracy would update her books if she was still with us as she updated some other aspects in light of more recent research. Therefore I'd go with having the cot in your room for at least the first 6 months and to have LO sleep for day time naps wherever you are too (eg in the family room in a bassinet or travel cot) as per the SIDS guidance.
I had my DS's baby hammock set up very close to my bed so that I could stay in bed and reach a hand out to pat or rock him, or just so he felt me there when he was very tiny.
I moved my DS into an adjoining room at 9 months old.  To be honest I had 3 days of hell during that move.  I had to switch him to the different room and to a new cot-bed and it was hard work for me and frustrating for him.  However, I knew we would get back on track, 3 days of sleep disturbance feels like an awful long time when you are in the middle of it (and exhausted) but in the bigger scheme of things 3 days is nothing, he was an independent sleeper and just needed a few days of help to adjust to his new sleep environment.

As you are new to the BW book and about to welcome your LO to the world I'll also take this opportunity to mention that much of the breast feeding advice in the books is now out dated.  If you plan to BF I'd suggest reading up on the most recent research about on-demand feeding, night feeds and such to give you the best start.

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 18:04:36 pm »
My babies spent at least the first 6 months in their cot in our room, my DD was with us for nearly 9 months. Both mine slept in a moses basket downstairs for naps during the day and I put the moses basket into the cot at night. When they got too big for the basket they moved into just the cot really easily as they were used to the view and position.

We didn't find the transition into their own rooms difficult as they were moving with a bed they were used to.

Good luck!

Laura