Author Topic: Advice - Moving almost 2yr old to own room & bed he shares with Brother  (Read 1565 times)

Offline KristieL

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

My youngest (20 months) has been sleeping in our room since he was born. We co-slept for a bit then moved him to a bassinet in our room and then to a playpen in our room.
He has slept in there since.

We would like to move him over to his own room soon but the only issue is he shares it with his brother (almost 6yr old).
He will be moved to the bottom bunk with bed rails.
I'm unsure how to do this big transition. My biggest worry is how much he'll disturb his brothers sleep because he can be a turd (crying through the night and always upon wakening).

Do we move him in his playpen first until he gets used to his new room then transition to the big bed?
Do we go straight to the big bed?
Do we start with naps in that room/bed first then move his night time sleep to there?
Should I move my middle child (6yr old) out of that room until his younger brother adjusts better?

Another suggestion?

I can already sense how much of a nightmare this is going to be. lol
He's by far our toughest sleeper.

Thanks

Brooklyn 9yrs
Jack 5yrs
Ivan 20 months

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Id prob move the playpen in there for naps first then nighttime sleep, after a few days try him in the bed.

My 6 yr old never wakes up when his 2 yr old bro is crying, they are in separate rooms butvtight next to each other with thin walls.
You might find the older one sleeps through it. Where would you move older one too?
Zoe

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
I'd prob move the play pen into the other room too and I'd prob continue to use it for a while if there is space in the room.  The transition to BBB always has a chance of LO getting up out of bed where as I'm assuming he is staying inside his playpen (or perhaps not? is he climbing out?).

Whichever way you go the disturbance is probably only going to be 3 days or a week before things settle down. Things may not be perfect after the first week but would be significantly better.  Just try to keep that in mind when you start your transition.  I always worried about big changes like this but the worst was 3 days/nights before settling which really isn't so bad.

Offline KristieL

• Showing Appreciation 0
He sleeps (naps) on my bed so putting him in the playpen for naps would be a big change. lol

Maybe just nighttime in playpen at first?

My older son (top bunk) could share a bed with his big sister (queen bed) or with me temporarily (king bed)
Brooklyn 9yrs
Jack 5yrs
Ivan 20 months

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
I guess I’d just try it and see what happens! Worst is a couple of disturbed nights and you can always try later if doesn’t work x
Zoe

Offline KristieL

• Showing Appreciation 0
Brooklyn 9yrs
Jack 5yrs
Ivan 20 months