Author Topic: Strange behaviour at the breast  (Read 1692 times)

Offline mulvia

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Strange behaviour at the breast
« on: April 22, 2018, 21:23:35 pm »
Hello! DS2 is 9 months old and still BF around solid meals. On average he gets a feed between 6 and 7am, around 1.30pm before nap, some time in the late afternoon but not always, and a couple of times during the night, for example around 11 and 3 or 4am. Not sure how much he gets, not enough to be fully satisfied but since he's a pretty good eater I think he mainly likes the contact and cuddles.
Now, he recently started doing this weird thing where he starts on one side, gets bored really fast (like, 30 seconds) and wants to switch, then it does the same again and again and keeps wanting to change sides. This mostly happens during day feeds, night is ok and usually just takes one side.
What can it be, and should I try to correct the behavior or let it pass? I've been trying to put him back on the same side when he lets go, sometimes it's ok but mostly lets go again after a few seconds and then it's back and forth again... ???

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Strange behaviour at the breast
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 22:47:18 pm »
Frequently switching sides is a way for baby to stimulate another let down and increase milk supply so I'd just let it do its job. It can get frustrating though.  You could try offering more frequent feeds in the day and see if that helps.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 09:08:29 am »
Mine does that, likes the flow to be super fast or she gets mad. You can try beast compressions while baby is feeding or I take fenugreek if dd starts switching too much.
You can also try switching the position to feeding laying back with baby facing you to make it easier to switch.

Offline mulvia

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 05:51:48 am »
Thank you! It's somewhat better already, I thought it may be related to flow, but was also wondering if he does indeed need more milk with all the solids he gets..!  :o ;D I guess he's almost achieved his goals.. ;) Thanks again!