Author Topic: P.U./PD not working,what am i doing wrong  (Read 1577 times)

Offline mummybunney

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
P.U./PD not working,what am i doing wrong
« on: May 07, 2018, 06:46:28 am »
I heard great things about this method,and initially was making progress but now we’ve stalled.He still will not go down to sleep on his own after about a month of continuing with this.It doesn’t make him worse/wind him up but I was hoping we would be able to put him in his cot awake and him settle himself after this length of time.Getting exhausted dealing with the numerous night wakes to resettle him - help!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: P.U./PD not working,what am i doing wrong
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 18:22:32 pm »
Hello and welcome :)

Could you post your current routine EAS times please, a full day and night showing all times that actually happened, it could be that you don't quite have the right routine for your LO and that this is not helping with the sleep training.  LOs need to be tired but not over tired (or under tired) to really help with sleep training.
Do you always pick up or return to him immediately that he calls out or cries for you?
At what point do you put him down in his cot? seven miles stare? nodding eyes?  fully awake? and then what do you do after he's down?

Offline mummybunney

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 18:34:55 pm »
I don’t track EAS times like that on a daily basis as he is breastfed on demand but has 2.25 hrs awake time between sleeps of one cycle per nap so 40 mins.His last nap ends no later than 5pm then in bed asleep 9times out of 10 at/by 7pm.Without fail his first wake is then 9.15 and then 2 hourly thereafter until becoming more and more difficult to settle from 5am usually resulting in co sleeping remainder of night.
He is a very alert little boy and displays no real tired signs until he’s very tired (when he starts grizzling and rubbing eyes).Try to put him down while calm but fully awake as he doesn’t do ‘drowsy’ anyway and we give it 5 minutes before returning to him if crying.Once in his cot having said ‘sleeptine’ we leave the room,he usually starts crying immediately so give him 5 minutes then return,pick up with sleepytime again until quiet then down again with sleepytime immediately.He moans with his hands in his mouth,kicks his legs around manically and just can’t seem to make the final switch to asleep by himself

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 18:07:28 pm »
How old is your LO?
And how long have you been on this routine of 2.25hrs please?  Also I am not sure if you mean 2hrs 25 mins or 2hrs 15 min?
What happens at the 40 min mark, he wakes and then what happens, does he cry, stay quiet, do you go to him, what do you do to resettle or extend the nap?

we give it 5 minutes before returning to him if crying.Once in his cot having said ‘sleeptine’ we leave the room,he usually starts crying immediately so give him 5 minutes then return
OK, this is not part of the PUPD method, nor it is part of any BW method. With BW there is no waiting whilst LO cries, you must return immediately.
BW methods do not use any aspect of CC (controlled crying).
The only time a LO is left is either quiet and not crying or calling out for you, or asleep, or making a mantra noise which is not crying, no tears, no escalation and whilst each LO has their own mantra it is generally rhythmical and shows no sign of frustration or anxiety and no attempt to get your attention.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 00:07:20 am »
I see from your other post that he is 5mo.

Have a look at the PUPD FAQ including the link on age appropriate adaptations.  https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=275699.0

As pp said above it doesn't sound like pupd what you describe.  Leaving him to cry for 5min might be affecting his trust that you will come when he needs you so you might need to work on rebuilding that trust again before pupd would work.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011