Author Topic: 28 month old started waking at 5.30  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Mummy1982

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 13, 2018, 05:15:11 am »
DS1 has always been a good sleeper - in bed at 7/7.15, sleeping until 6.15-6.30 and having 1.5-2hr naps however in the last 2 weeks 90% if his wake ups are before 6am - it’s like it’s become a habit!

He’s had days with only 45 mins nap, dats where he’s gone to bed later and it’s made absolutely no difference, the days he has woken up slightly later he’s not had a different day to the day he’s woke early. His nap is generally 1.30ush and he doesn’t complain of going to bed until 7.

I’ve tried going in and telling him it’s not to time to get up yet but he just says mummy/daddy over and over until we get him up. We’ve put toys in his room to play with but he just stays in bed until we get him.

I’m not sure if we’re in the start of the 1-0 transition, however I think if I woke him early from his nap he’d would be very grumpy, or if it’s s habit I can get him out of. Probably doesn’t help that his brother (7 months) stirs at this time too and when ds1 starts shouting mummy/daddy he then wakes him up!

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 06:05:32 am »
I thought no its a phase they go through before they drop the nap. We were having this for some time so we started reducing the nap. We got it down to 45 mins and then she dropped it. We are still only pulling 11 he nights which is killing me cos she is knackered and falling asleep about 6:45 so is awake before 6. She has done the occasional 12 he night but we’ve only been nap free for less than 2 weeks now so I’m just hoping things improve, for my sanity at least. She’s way more active than ever, so you’d think she’d be tired 🤦‍♀️🙄

Offline Mummy1982

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 07:12:42 am »
It’s so fustrating - I don’t mind a 6am wake up but at 5.30 it’s a long day for him plus it cuts in to my time fir getting ready!

Considering trying wake to sleep to see if that wirks

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 18:23:26 pm »
You could try it but if it is the start of the nap drop it may not help. Not that it’s any consolation but I remember my nephew doing the early waking phase and he had dropped his naps by 18months!! So they were mega long days for my brother and his wife!

My littly seems to be improving daily with how she’s managing without her naps and we now manage a 7pm bedtime, asleep in a few minutes and still having around 11 hours overnight but is generally happy in this so have to accept this is how it is right now.
My early rising nephew is now 4 and they have some days when they have to wake him or they’d be late for work!! So there is hope they learn to stretch out their nights x

Offline Mummy1982

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 04:32:35 am »
That’s interesting thank you. I’m going to shorten his naps first and see if that makes a difference over the next couple of weeks-month before trying w2s. The other day we were out and he only had 40 min nap in the car and he slept until 6 rather than the usual 5.30.although today is was 5.15!

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 18:05:59 pm »
It is a killer the early wake ups, even if they’re not disturbing you, you pay for it with a grumpy toddler all day 🤦‍♀️
We’ve had a grump tonight after Nursery as they gave her a lolly, which I didn’t want her to have, 1 because it’s a choking hazard and 2 because it’s full of rubbish before bedtime! I discretely removed the lolly but no flies on her and she had a benny over the blummin lolly!! Then I tried to distract her with the neighbours kids, but then she had a benny cos she couldn’t stay out and play 🙈😳🙄
All settled after some supper and out cold at 7pm
They’re not wrong when they say this last nap drop is a killer 😳

Offline Mummy1982

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 05:25:47 am »
It’s getting earlier - 1 hour nap yesterday and we had a 4.30 and 5.15 wake up.

I’m never sure if I should make him wait in bed until 6 even if I’m in his room with him as I’m reinforcing the early wake up if I get him up - thing is he will just keep shouting mummy/daddy if I leave him and I don’t think he’s going to go back to sleep as he’s quite clearly awake!

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 19:25:47 pm »
We have always had a stay in bed until 7 rule. Even when we’ve had ridiculously early wake ups. Sometimes she has gone back to sleep, other times she’s been mega tired all day. My gut always tells me to be as consistent as I can be, within reason. So bedtime is always around 7 at the minute and who knows what time she’s waking cos she’s quiet 🤦‍♀️
As you can read in my thread, I was getting very anxious about it and constantly checking the video monitor but I have chilled a bit the last few days cos whenever I’ve tried to tweak things it’s never improved so I guess we are just having 11 ish hours total sleep at the minute and we just ride the daily storm in the hope she’ll get better as she gets a bit older and can cope better without the nap 🤦‍♀️🙈

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 08:09:35 am »
Mummy1982 just wondering how things are now?
We are nap free and the ewu’s have returned 😳
Going against everything I suggested to you, I tried tweaking to no avail. Currently riding the storm with a very tired grumpy almost 3 yr old 🤦‍♀️
Happy days eh?!!