Author Topic: Dropping the nap  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 06:11:46 am »
Mines averaged 11 hour nights all week and now doing a 12 or more as still asleep at 7:10, bt asleep was 7 😉👍🏻

Offline evwright

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Dropping the nap
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 10:33:47 am »
That's really good to hear - hope it continues for you and rubs off at this end  :D

Offline evwright

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 07:09:03 am »
Hi, we went for it and we are now on day 4! We haven't had any CNs and we are getting a little sleep disturbance and shouting out in his sleep, but he is doing almost 12hrs. Goodness is he tired though, by 6pm he bursts into tears  :'( Hopefully it will be a fairly short phase and we will get caught up a little. Hope your nights are still stretching conniesmummy x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 10:13:08 am »
Sounds good!
Are you able to get him to bed any earlier if he's crying at 6pm?
I know when I tried a nap drop with mine he became dangerous at 4pm (ie falling, would have run into the road rather than hand hold, all due to tiredness rather than naughtiness) and that was too early for BT so I had to put the nap back in - but 6pm is not so unusual a BT for LOs dropping the nap.

Offline evwright

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 13:02:23 pm »
We're going to try and get BT earlier tonight. Our main concern is that he is waking naturally just under the 12hr mark and we don't know if we'd get any longer out of him now that he has dropped (he has had just under 12hr total sleep ever since the 2-1 nap). With both me and DH being ill, a 6am WU would be rather a shock to the system  :o I'm keeping a very close eye today for signs.

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 18:18:16 pm »
We push through if I’m honest and do have some trickier days where we have hysterics at bathtime, but when we’ve tried an earlier bedtime to tag on we get and earlier wake up so doesn’t work. We’re working on consistent ish bedtime around 7 and keep everything crossed 🤦‍♀️
She does have the ability to have the odd longer night and to allow any minute nap has such devastating consequences it’s not worth it. I’m sure before long they will adjust and it will become easier on them...and us!!!

Offline evwright

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 11:13:49 am »
Sneaking back in here at 4 years and one day  :D

First day of holiday! We had a 20min nap in the car between 1.30-2pm, so nice and early. Unfortunately very excited plus lots of family equalled late to bed, out cold at 9pm. 5.40am "Mummy, how long do I have to wait, I think I'm going to wake up now"  ::) ;D I've never been up so early... (and my heart goes out to those of you with early wakers). He's gone out with family so no chance for  cat nap and I'll have to stretch him to an early bedtime in hope of a later start tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 12:31:41 pm »
"Mummy, how long do I have to wait, I think I'm going to wake up now"
Ha ha that's so cute :)

And happy birthday to the little man :)

Luck for today!!

Offline evwright

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 08:53:05 am »
Hi again, we're doing pretty well all things considered. We had less than a week without nap before going on holiday, a late first night plus OT gave us sleep, but with early mornings. When he wakes at home usually it's a quick visit, say it's still sleepy time and he has a quick hug, rolls over and goes back to sleep. On holiday he started kicking, screaming, shouting etc and would not go back to sleep, so we had some very early breakfasts! He had a few very short naps on car journeys (early in the day) and we're not sure if that actually kept us going or contributed to the problem.

Back home the first night was short but then we've had 3 or 4 in a row of almost 12hrs. This morning he woke a bit early and when I went in to say it was still sleepy time he had a tantrum, kicking, yelling, crying. I said if he couldn't sleep any more he could play or read quietly in his room until his sun came up, but he started crying again and saying he would be lonely if I left him. He got a bit quieter after a hug, needed one more visit, but then I did stay in my room until his sun came up.

Currently he is asleep soon after 7.30pm and he is gone within minutes, no fuss. Depending on which nursery he is at our usual wake up is 7.30 (two days a week it's a bit earlier). He still looks a little tired on that and his behaviour, well lets just hope it is a passing OT phase  ::) although we have had a school visit and there is a lot of talk about school going around so I think he's a little stressed as well.

I was going to sit down with him today and say that if it is past 7 he can stay awake, play quietly and read, but not wake mummy and daddy. So the longest he would have to play/read would be 30 minutes. I don't expect him to sleep for longer than he needs, but I want to give space for his nights to be a good length. We've always tended to need to wake him in the morning rather than this way round so we haven't really dealt with EW before. I'm also very aware that he will take miles and miles if given an inch so I don't want it to keep creeping earlier if he wakes and decides to not go back to sleep when he actually needs it. Does this sound a reasonable way forward?

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 05:25:32 am »
Can’t help right now, we’re having 5:30 wake ups 😔 falling asleep everywhere 💤😭

Offline evwright

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 08:55:13 am »
Sending hugs and sleep your way x

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 11:26:43 am »
Does this sound a reasonable way forward?
Yes absolutely.

If you end up with problems of him waking earlier I think you'll need to keep on reassuring and telling that he has to wait until 7. I had a good stint of this with my LO.  I never left him crying (he'd be shouting to get up rather than heart broken crying or feeling abandoned, he was angry and determined not scared) but I was pretty damn stern with my verbal reassurance using a very serious voice (not a cajoling one) saying things like "It is night time, go to sleep". And also both me and his dad spoke to him about it in the day. Mine would have got up at about 4am given half the chance!

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 11:43:16 am »
Toddlers sent to try us that’s for sure. We’re currently on a 6 hr car journey 😳🙈