Author Topic: Nap schedule for 4.5 month old  (Read 1347 times)

Offline peepip

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Nap schedule for 4.5 month old
« on: May 06, 2018, 11:33:38 am »
Hi! I hope this is in the correct place, but I’m having trouble getting into a nap routine and I think it may be effecting night sleep

Right now my 4.5 month old is only able to fit in 2 naps and that feels like not enough. Our days have been like this the last few days:

Up: 8am
Nap: 10am
Awake: 11:30am
Nap: 1:30pm
Awake: 3:30pm
Bed: 7pm

2-3 night wakings, always around 10pm (his first chunk of sleep used to be 6hrs and has been 8-9 on occasion!) and also around 2/3am. Sometimes he wakes around 6:30/7am but will fall asleep until 8am-ish
He only wakes to eat during the evening

During the day he eats every 3 hours, but sometimes only snacks.
Should I be cutting his naps short? I know his last awake time is really long but I can’t squeeze another nap in there. I’ve tried APOP a really short nap but it’s only worked once. This evening I tried an earlier bed time of 6:30 but he still woke up at 9 for a feed  ???

Any guidance would be much appreciated!
Thanks so much

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Nap schedule for 4.5 month old
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 00:57:25 am »
Ordinarily, I'd expect to see another nap around 5:30 for 30-45mins and then a BT around 8/8:30. Generally, a day is 12-13hr at this age, rather than 11hr.

Even if he's going to bed at 6:30, he's probably quite overtired at bedtime, so he's going to wake in that first 3hr after bedtime from that. I'm surprised, actually, that he's sleeping as well as your post suggests.

Offline peepip

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 05:36:56 am »
Thanks so much for the reply! Today has been a day of only 1hr naps, so it looks like we will get a 3rd nap in at 4pm today.

I had a feeling his waking after 3 hours was a result of being overtired!

I’ll make sure to keep trying for that 3rd nap and hopefully his night sleep will improve.

Thanks again!

Offline peepip

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 20:57:56 pm »
So I think the late nap isn’t working for us...
Last night was by far the worst night sleep, after 2X1.5 hr naps and a 30 min nap at 5:30pm

We had bedtime at 8pm, but he woke up at 12 and 4, then was up for the day at 6:30 :(

I think on days where I can’t get a 3rd nap in by 4pm we need an early bedtime, and I just shouldn’t stress about “only” two naps.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 10:41:48 am »
I think the night you were getting was reasonable for LO's age. I don't think you've a big problem there at all, those are reasonable intervals to be feeding through the night.

If that's working for you, stick with it. Its slightly out of the ordinary but it seems to fit your family better than a shorter night, so stick with it. I guess as A times increase, the day will get longer over the next 1-2 months.