Author Topic: 10 week old EAES and super distracted while feeding  (Read 2167 times)

Offline LaraMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mom of two beautiful girls (3 years & 4 months)
10 week old EAES and super distracted while feeding
« on: May 07, 2018, 09:44:26 am »
Dear BW-mums,

my DD2 is 10 weeks old and used to be a perfect EASY-Baby. About 10 days ago she started decreasing drinking time to approx 5 minutes first breast and just a few minutes second breast. So far ok but she gets so distracted by her surrounding, starring and smiling at me, the ceiling and curtains...its sometimes difficult to get her even to drink that little.
Getting her down for her nap is normally fine but more and more often she starts fussing and crying when laying her down and won‘t stop till I offer her my breast (and I really tried not to but at some point I have to - so frustrating), she then drinks perfectly - today before her first nap she drank 7 minutes.
So we slowly drift to a EAESY pattern which I do not want because she of course is less hungry after waking up from her nap and we start that procedure all over again...
Sometimes it’s an EAEASY pattern because she does not fall asleep while drinking. Better but also not ideal, right?
What can I do??

She still has a night waking around 3am. DD1 skipped that by 8/9 weeks so I am very much waiting for DD2 to do that too 😉

Here is our schedule

7 — E (on and off/ offering her both breasts)
A — smiling, singing, swing and looking around
8 — S (today she only fell asleep at 9 with an additional feeding)
11 — E
A
12 — S (again sometimes with an additional feeding right before bed)
3 — E (i often have to wake her up for her feeding)
A
4 — S (again sometimes with an additional feeding right before bed)
6 — E
After that feeding we make her ready for bed
7 — cluster feeding and right to bed
10:30 — DF

Around 3am she wakes for a feed (nothing else makes her sleep again and she drinks very good on one side) and is down again soon

Could it be that we already should move to a 4 hour EASY? To get her more hungry??

TIA!! I love this forum and read here every day 💕
Tracy saved my life with DD1 and now happily implementing this great philosophy with DD2.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 10 week old EAES and super distracted while feeding
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 23:18:46 pm »
Hi,
Welcome to the forums.
It's completely normal for EBF babies to have more than one feed in an A time. Normally 4mo would be the earliest a baby would move to a 4hr EASY but often EBF babies won't ever make it to 4hrly feeds until they are established on solids food too and having those between milk.

How long is your LO awake between naps? Looks like just an hour so that might need to go up to 1.5hrs or almost there soon if she doesn't seem tired enough before that. Maybe that's why she cries when you try to put her to sleep after an hour? Your routine looks fine otherwise.

Night feed are important for supply and will change with growth spurts. Having just a DF and a NF at 10wo is great. Just the DF would be exceptional. Most babies this age will still be having 3 feeds or more at night. I expect she is genuinely hungry when she wakes so I'd definitely just feed her. They do get more efficient at this age so 5 or 10 minutes is often a full feed. You don't have to feed bang on wake up if she isn't hungry for it yet. You can always wait a bit until she is. So AEAS etc. would be fine too.

They do get more distracted at this age as they get more aware of the world around them so it's really common for feeds to be better when sleepy. It's mostly just a phase. Perhaps a feeding necklace or similar to play with would help keep her focussed?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:46:26 pm »
Hey there,
My dd is 10mo tomorrow and Still can’t always go 4h between feeds, still had 2x NF too. I feed her when she’s sleepy, either just woken up or just about to sleep, super distractable otherwise. You can try feed in a dark room or I sometimes feed standing up, rocking lol. Try not to feed to sleep and you’ll be ok.
Hope this helps 😀

Offline LaraMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 12:10:11 pm »
Sorry for the late reply. There are a lot of great ideas and good information so thank you very much for your answers!!

DD2 is 14,5 weeks old now and I still sometimes feed her before nap time but wake her up if she falls asleep so I make sure she does not associate breast-feeding with falling asleep. it works fine, her naps are wonderful and really long (2 hours +). Thanks for encouraging me to continue with the EAES-pattern.

A thing really bothering me is her bedtime. It takes so long for her to calm down, she fights sleep so badly. We tried less and more wake time before bed - nothing really got better. I am frustrated because I thought that after 3 Months the evening fussiness will improve.

Another thing I would love to hear your advice is that we are only having 3 naps (2x2 hours, 1x30min). Is this appropriate for her age?

THANKSTHANKSTHANKS
Tracy saved my life with DD1 and now happily implementing this great philosophy with DD2.

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 12:35:12 pm »
You might want to post on the EASY forum with that. They’ll definitely be more help with the routine. That a look at the sleep and easy faq too, it has info about average A times, naps and sample routines for your age group. I’d post you a link but I’m useless with tech stuff 😖

Offline LaraMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 13:34:35 pm »
Thanks, I will!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 19:56:22 pm »
General evening fussiness is common and she's should grow out of it.

As long as she's happy with those naps them no need to try to for her into the book.  The routines aste just guides of what might work. Few babies will do that exactly.

Offline LaraMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 12:10:04 pm »
I just hoped that evening fussiness will improve after 3 months and it even got worse :-(

I guess she is just overstimulated with DD1 around. I really don't know how other mums with more babies handle this. DD1 was also so super easily overstimulated that I hardly went out and now DD2 is the same...

Ali, you are a mom of 4 children? Pls tell me how you manage that your baby is not overstimulated

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 22:39:40 pm »
I find it helps to keep her close to me.  Sometimes I wear her in the baby carrier while I cook.  I put her in the bouncy chair or bumbo or highchair next to me while I do things. Or I just hold her while we play. If she seems upset I offer a breastfeed to calm her then she's usually ok to watch me again. Sometimes after she goes down for the night I have to resettle her with another feed after 45 minutes or such. She's getting much better now she's more interactive and aware.

I don't think my baby is particularly sensitive to OS though. Have you done the personality test to determine why type your baby falls under?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 22:42:21 pm »
Here's the link to the personality test https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52283.0

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 22:44:36 pm »
And some more info for once you know https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63275.0