Author Topic: Alright little mamas... this one has me stumped!  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Alright little mamas... this one has me stumped!
« on: June 07, 2018, 00:54:25 am »
Little one is 13 months, been down to one nap a day for a few months. Usually naps around 12/12:30 until 2:30pm. Then bed time is around 7:30. He usually rises for the day between 7:30/8 some day I go in around 8:20 to get him up. and he kind of flip flops around for a bit say 30mins before he will call out. He is quite and content. Recently... these 3/4 days he goes to bed and wakes 45 mins later we let him see if he settles and then will go in and give him water, calm him and send him back to bed. Today he went down at 7:30 and he is still awake flip flopping in bed and playing with his stuffies and occasional talking to them. Since he is not crying I leave him and eventually he will go to bed or cry. Any ideas as to why he won’t sleep ?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Alright little mamas... this one has me stumped!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 19:01:17 pm »
Couple of ideas - you say he's been on one nap for a few months now?  He's pretty young and so if he's been sleeping well on that one nap it may suggest he is very low sleep needs.  Could possibly need the nap capping a bit to settle off at bedtime?  I hesitate a little to suggest that only because many babies at this point are still having two naps - capping often comes in much later on - but I thought I'd mention it as a possibility.  Another idea (opposite end of the spectrum) is that he could be overtired - is he suddenly more active for example and using more energy?  Another possibility could just be a developmental blip - any new skills you've noticed?

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 21:14:19 pm »
Well he has always been on low sleep needs hence the transition to 1 nap at his age. Last night he went to bed at 7:30/8 and woke around 8:30 ish and fell asleep at 10 ish, he cried twice and I just went in an resettled. He has been at daycare this week so he is definitely in the move more. Today he slept f on 12:30-3pm sooo and he is tearing to go so maybe I should push bedtime til 8 ish? Possible cap the nap too to 2 hours max? He woke this am at 8 ish.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 13:31:57 pm »
You could certainly try keeping the nap to 2 hours and see if it helps. I’d give it a week or so and then reassess - if it makes no difference or makes things worse then may need a rethink x

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 00:21:04 am »
Welppp... on Saturday he slept from 11am - 1;15pm and we put him to bed at 6, up and rearing night to go again until about 9:30 and woke the next morning just after 8.
Today( because we had to travel) he only slept 40 mins in the car. From 11:50-12:30 ish. I tired to put him down at 3 and no go.. so tired again at 3: and p and he settled From 3:50-4:30. I did this because I knew he would be over tired even if I put him to bed at 6. So I thought I had nothing to lose... well it’s 9:15 and he is just finally asleep. Not cranky or anything just not tired.  I will talk to the daycare lady and say I need the nap capped at 2 hrs. He has no problem sleeping. For his day time naps at all... it’s just his night time sleep he’s ready for it but if he wakes he is very hard to resettle. But I must say he has been eating a ton lately so I kmownhekis going through a growth spurt.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 13:47:43 pm »
Wow he's got some stamina!  See how you get on with the shorter nap for a while and then hopefully things might start settling....if not you know where we are!