Author Topic: EASY breakdown  (Read 1642 times)

Offline HettyO

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 15, 2018, 13:41:38 pm »
I didnt start easy with my older son till he was 3 months. Have tried to stick to principles if easy this time frim the get go but finding it very difficult to work around toddler and the added problem that son won't nap for longer than 45 minutes. He's like clockwork and it's completely throwing the rest of routine out and confusing feeding too (I've posted about this in bittle feeding board)

He generally wakes up happy (cooing and no crying) from a 45 minute nap so is this just his normal? He will sleep for longer if out and about (car/sling/pram or even nect to me on double bed upstairs - he's apparently not fussy unless in his cot). Although he wakes happy by the end of the day he is tired and its a struggle to get final feed in and the issue has been compounded by an increase in night waking which I'm sure are over tired. The last two nights have been quite bad (fed at 11ish and 4/5 but woken up at least an additional 3 or 4 tines) and we're in danger of relying on the dummy too much for these.

I wondered if I should just leave him cooing in cot until he does cry out in the hope he resettles himself? I've only managed to resettle him a handful of times. Not sure if I've been rushing in too early.

Is there anyway i can encourage him to find his fingers to suck so he can help resettle himself?

I've put yesterday's routine below in case it shows anything up

WU 6.45

E 7.00
A
S 8-8.20 resettle 8.30-9.00
A
E 9.50-10
A
S 10.30-10.55 resettle 11.10-11.55
E 12.50
A
S 1.15-1.50
A
S 2.50-4 (in sling)
E 4.00
A
S 5-6 (in car)
E 6.30
S 7
NF 12 and 5 (other wake ups 2, 2.30, 3.30)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: EASY breakdown
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 18:11:29 pm »
How old is LO?

Offline HettyO

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 18:44:28 pm »
Sorry!!!that's is a key piece of information. He's 8.5 weeks.

He can self settle at bedtime with just a hand on him and for naps too as long as I time it right with tired signs (we wait to the second yawn). We only use the dummy at these points if he needs the help to wind down but try to take it out before he's asleep. Not always possible to get it out during naps though as I'm running around after toddler

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 21:15:37 pm »
Sorry, this won't be a full answer as I have to get out of the house but just this leaped out at me:

The last two nights have been quite bad (fed at 11ish and 4/5 but woken up at least an additional 3 or 4 tines) and we're in danger of relying on the dummy too much for these.
If these other 3-4 wakings are between 11 and 4am, I'd just feed at one of them and that will likely get rid of the others. Its perfectly reasonable at this age to be feeding more than twice through the night and to fluctuate in the number of feeds required at night with growth spurts, etc. 

Certainly if he's lying there happily, I'd leave him to it, at least he's getting some rest even if he's not asleep and will get used to lying in bed which is not a bad skill for a LO to have (don't leave him there all day, of course - I don't think you would but gotta say that).

At 8.5 weeks, 45min naps can be developmental, so I'd try not to worry about them too much though if you can get a longer nap or two in each day by being out and about, that's probably good. You could try a touch more A time, (say, 5min) and see if that helps but it looks just as likely to me that he's overstimulated (difficult to avoid with a toddler) as under or over tired.

Offline HettyO

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 07:43:34 am »
Where we've had these other wake ups befor I  have tried offering the bottle but he will only take such a small amount. Sometimes not even an oz. As it it is he takes very little at the actual two feeds, probably only 2oz at each feed. Made me think they were probably more for comfort.

Last night was unusual in that he took a full 5oz bottl3 at 1 when he woke. What was great was when he had his little random.wake up 3ish he made a bit of noise then took himself off again. Because of the noises he was making I knew he was ok and left him to it. He did this twice.

If 45mins is a thing I'll just embrace it for the time being and work around it. Will continue to make sure there is at least one long stretch in sling. Very aware i don't want to lose the self soothing pattern we've worked hard to establish. Compared to my last it feels magical just being able to lay him in cot. I'll just hope he'll stretch them out to longer naps on his own and resettle when I can.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 10:27:43 am »
Fair enough. You're doing well to be able to put him down awake at this age, that'll come and go a bit with development etc. but its great that he's able to do that already :)