Author Topic: 5 month night wakings and poor first nap  (Read 87 times)

Offline Sarahmm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 month night wakings and poor first nap
« on: May 16, 2018, 19:51:14 pm »
Hi, Not sure this is the right group but I would be really grateful for some advice from you lovely ladies....
For the last three weeks my DD has started waking every two/ three times per night from midnight onwards and wakes bang on 6.30 every morning. She used to be a really good sleeper (she could sleep through from 7-7) so I'm guessing it may be sleep regression but I'm shattered. When she wakes, she wriggles and starts chatting then eventually becomes a grumble. I always pick her up and feed her (lasting 10-20mins per feed) then she goes straight back to sleep. Also her first nap in the daytime is only ever 37 mins whereas the second is 1.5 hours. I do pu/pd with the first nap but that rarely works to get her back to sleep.

Our routine:
Wakes at 6.30
E 7.00
A
S 9.00 (37- 40 mins)
E 11.00
A
S 13.00 (1.5 hrs)
E 15.00
A
S 17.00 (37 mins)
Bath time 18.00
E 18.30
S 19.00
Dream feed 22.00

Waking usually at 01.00, 3/4am

Thanks Sarah x

Offline Sarahmm

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 5 month night wakings and poor first nap
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 20:10:05 pm »
I forgot to add the last two nights she started waking at 9pm (usually wakes up crying) Iím again using the easy option of feeding her to sleep 🙈 Help!

Offline becj86

• Naps and Night Wakings
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 344
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 02:49:27 am »
Also her first nap in the daytime is only ever 37 mins whereas the second is 1.5 hours. I do pu/pd with the first nap but that rarely works to get her back to sleep.
That's because she's undertired (UT) and needs more A time. Average at 4 months is 2hr, average at 6 months is 2:45-3hr, so increasing by ~15mins/fortnight between 3 and 6 months. I'd suggest that you should increase her A time, especially the first one, to 2:15 for 3-4 days, then to 2:30 if she's still not sleeping later in the morning and still taking a short first nap. Having said that, a 12hr night is not really a reasonable expectation at this age, as she's heading towards dropping the third nap and going to 2 naps at ~6 months. Her night will get longer again when the third nap goes but for now, a 13hr day and 11hr night is far more typical.

Offline Sarahmm

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 12:38:49 pm »
Thank you becj86! Will give that a try.
I guess I got spoilt with her doing 12 hr sleeps!!

Offline becj86

• Naps and Night Wakings
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 00:27:52 am »
Let us know how you go :)

I guess I got spoilt with her doing 12 hr sleeps!!
I can totally understand wanting this to continue! It will be back, just not forever ;)

Offline Sarahmm

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 09:09:13 am »
You are an angel becj86! I have extended her A time to 2 1/2 hours and she has slept for 1 hr 45 mins for the last two days naps! However, she was awake 23.26, 1.51, 4.25 and woke up at 6.45 this morning. I did her dream feed at 22.00 so she's basically waking every 2-3 hours. She seemed to be hungry for each waking and fed for 15-20 mins each time, which is more than she feeds for in the daytime!

Offline becj86

• Naps and Night Wakings
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 00:04:16 am »
Stick with it, it can take a couple of days for nights to settle after a big change to the day. If she's going longer without a feed with the longer A times and longer naps, you can add a topup BF an hour after the main feed which will then be swapped for a solid meal/snack when you start solids. That can help with hunger at night.