Author Topic: Beginning EASY for my 9 week old.. help!  (Read 4694 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Beginning EASY for my 9 week old.. help!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 08:24:02 am »
And the 20 mins I was referring to was how long it takes them to fall asleep.  Is it the same for when they’ve woken from sleep and need to be resettled, or after feeding him and putting him back down, that you need to wait out the 20 minutes like you would have done when they went down initially? 
Ah, I understand.  It may take the 20 mins, yes, but it may not.  Sometimes LOs settle very quickly and sometimes not.  It could take 5 mins, 20 mins or in some cases much longer if they are unsettled and fussy and hard to get to sleep.

You'r doing brilliantly. That EASY on 27th is great.  His A times are long for his age but it seems he likes it that way and sleeps really really long naps!
S 8:47-10:36a (2.27 hrs slept)
E 11:34a
A Up for an hour 19
S 11:55-2:33p (1.49 hrs slept)
2.5hrs for nap 1 and looks like just over 2.5hrs for nap 2 too (I think you miscalculated that one)
with naps this long twice in the day followed by a CN (which is what happened in your routine that day) it would be an excellent routine although more commonly seen in a baby older than he is.
Out of interest was he born close to his due date or under/over?

Looking at his E pattern although he sometimes take a feed at 3hrs in the morning it looks like he is often going closer to 4hrs before eating.  This too is more expected in an older baby but it's not unheard of in a younger baby (and some hospitals put babies on a 4hr E routine from birth if they have a hospital stay so it's probably not all that bad).  I wouldn't force him to wait 4hrs for a feed but if his pattern continues this way you might think about his E times being a bit further apart rather than closer together, it might help you resolve E and S times rather than worrying half the day that he didn't take his bottle at 2.5 or 3hrs.  He might also take a better feed if they are more spaced.  Just something you can observe and see how it goes.

Is there anything we can do about the witching hour?  As of right now me and DH just go back and forth trying to put him back down after he’s woken up and been up for a while to try and preserve our sanity
Not really.  It's mostly just developmental.  I see some posts where LOs are awake 4 or 5hrs in the evening as they just won't settle so you're doing well to get a nap or 2 in even if they are short.

Offline amazering

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 09:09:59 am »
S 8:47-10:36a (2.27 hrs slept)
E 11:34a
A Up for an hour 19
S 11:55-2:33p (1.49 hrs slept)
2.5hrs for nap 1 and looks like just over 2.5hrs for nap 2 too (I think you miscalculated that one)

I mixed the times up - that’s what I get for typing sleepy lol. That first nap was the 1.49 and the 2nd nap was 2.27 (according to my app).

I’m a Type 1 diabetic so they induced my labor to prevent any potential health risks for me or my baby.  He was due the 20th of March but came on the 11th.

At his 2 month check up he weighed in at the 84th percentile at just over 14 lbs (he’s also a long little baby lol).

I will try to gauge his feeding and see if maybe I can extend to 3.5 hours before feeding him (if he’s not giving me hunger cues) and hopefully that will help. We did just recently increase his bottle by an oz.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:21:43 am by amazering »

Offline amazering

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 16:29:28 pm »
When he only naps for 45 min, should we still aim to keep him awake for the 1.20 mark?  Or if he seems OT from a short nap, do we still try and keep him up?  Or should we try and put him down sooner if he wakes up 45 mins in regardless of whether he seems OT or not?

Also, how would we incorporate feeding him at 3.5 hours or 4 hours for the routine since he’s only able to stay awake an hour 20 or so? Especially since his sleeping isn’t steady and we keep running into 45 min naps again :(
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 16:37:44 pm by amazering »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 08:59:42 am »
If he is showing tired cues it's ok to put him down earlier than the 1hr 20.

The E and S times will need to be tracked separately rather than automatically feeding after each nap wake up. It's possible. If you see an E and an S about to clash they just feed a bit earlier before the nap time or if the E is due towards the end of the nap just leave it until he wakes.

I had my DS on 3hr E at 4-6 months when others go onto 4hr E so I just fitted around the naps by tracking the times of each, it didn't work to feed right after a nap for mine either.