Author Topic: Nap time for 22 month old  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: May 21, 2018, 16:21:26 pm »
I’ve posted on an issue before that I’m having with nap time. My 22 month old currently naps at 1230/1 for 2 hours usually up around 3. The issue is that for the next month I have to pick up my older son from school at 130 so need to leave the house by 115. So I will be unable to put my lo down for his normal nap time. There will be at least 2/3 days where I will have some help with pickup and lo will be able to take his usual nap but for the other 2-3 days I’ll need to figure something out. Today I’m trying nap around 12/1215 to see if he’ll go down early and nap for 1 hour (as opposed to his 2 hr nap) because I’ll need to wake him by 115. My other option is a 2pm nap. But the problem with that is his brother will just be getting home from school so he’ll probably want to play as opposed to napping. And also 2pm is late for a nap. My big one is in bed by 8. And the lo is usually in bed by 730. I guess I could cap the late nap and wake him after an hour to preserve regular bedtime. Any tips or suggestions? As of now he went into crib ok no fighting it or crying but he’s still awake at 1220 and I’ll have to wake him by 115 so if he even does fall asleep this nap is even going to be shorter more like 45 mins! He always naps so well every day for his 2 hours. I’m afraid I’m going to ruin his good routine but I don’t have a choice for the next few weeks.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Nap time for 22 month old
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 06:32:49 am »
I think as we’ve said before if you have to do the pick up at the set time then the nap will have to fit in around it.
I’d prob try it both ways next month and see how you get on!? Have you said he won’t car/buggy nap?

Mine had fab 2 hour nap until 27 months then just decided no more napping in bed, no amount of tweaking helped so really you never know what’s round the corner.
Zoe

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 15:52:52 pm »
 I guess I was just wondering what a typical naptime is for someone this age. I never thought of doing the nap a little earlier but it seems he won’t fall sleep until 1230 anyways. So usually a 40 minute nap. As opposed to the two hour nap he normally takes. I just can’t bring myself to do a 2 o’clock or later nap it’s just way too late in the day for us.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 16:57:10 pm »
Would it make much of a difference if I woke him 30 mins earlier in the morning ? Maybe he’d go down easier for an earlier nap?  He usually wakes at 7 or I wake him and he won’t fall asleep until 1230 at the earliest. Then I have to wake him by 110 to leave so it’s not even a 45 min nap for a chkid who normally takes a 2-2.5 hour nap. I just feel like the 40 mins at 1230 is better than a nap at 2 or later being that I still wouldn’t let him sleep past 3 to preserve bedtime so it would only be an hour nap anyways. There are still 2-3 days during the work week that I don’t have to wake him. So I’m just hoping he won’t start waking after 40 mins if he gets used to it. Yk

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Nap time for 22 month old
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 13:50:42 pm »
You could try it, personally I’d prefer 45 mins/hour at 2pm to avoid afternoon/teatime OT.
Zoe

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 16:42:37 pm »
Well he’s been doing the nap at 1230 and I’m waking him at 110 but today I tried and he never fell asleep so I guess I’ll try again at 2!  The problem is at 2 o’clock his brother has just gotten home from school and is too excited and doesn’t want to go down for nap

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 19:13:46 pm »
I’m no expert as you may have read my posts but just a suggestion. If he won’t nap when his brother is home, or he has a really short nap, could you do an earlier bedtime?
When my LG was around this age I would offer an earlier bedtime, at least 30-60 mins earlier, if her nap was 45 mins or less. As she’s gotten a little older she was able to come better on a shorter nap and we then needed to cap at 45 mins to preserve bedtime. She’s recently dropped it altogether and if she has even 30 mins, her bedtime is mega late. She’s now 33 months old, so just shows how things can change so quickly x

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 10:48:35 am »
Well we’ve had a few days where I had help and didn’t have to wake him although he’s not sleeping as long as he used to only about 1-1.5 hrs opposed to his usual 2 hrs and it’s also taking him a little longer to fall asleep at night and he’s waking much earlier in the morning. So with his Normal long nap he goes to bed easier and wakes later?!! Is this crazy or just some ot settling in? I was afraid I’d mess up his great schedule and I think I did. 2 more weeks to go before schools out.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 16:52:22 pm »
Today he didn’t fall asleep until 1245 and I need to wake him by 1:10! He’s not going to be happy. He was up early today at 630 guess I’ll have to do ebt tonight but not sure how early.