Author Topic: Naps going to pot again  (Read 6388 times)

Offline Tilsley1471

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2018, 04:41:21 am »
5.20 WU today  :( I can only guess it's from OT due to lack of day sleep? Would I now push and keep her up until 9.30 when I'd want her to take her 1st nap?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Naps going to pot again
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2018, 09:49:48 am »
Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner - life.

I then thought to extend 1st A time to 3.25 (10 mins) as naps were getting shorter but it was still short today so I'm thinking 3.5 hours for 1st A time. I was then doing. 2nd A time of 3.40 to try and extend nap but she had OT 2nd nap today so I'm wondering if I should do 3.5 2nd A time if 1st nap is less than 1.15/1.20 hours and 3.40 hours if she has a 1st nap of anything over 1.20 hours - what are your thoughts on that?
Sounds like a good plan.

Would I now push and keep her up until 9.30 when I'd want her to take her 1st nap?
You can do yes.  I agree with what you were saying about keeping her up until 9.15 rather than earlier on the days she woke earlier so if you are now extending first A time then, yes you can do this, first nap at 9.30am.  3hr 30 is not excessively long for her age and you've made a good record of her times which do seem to indicate an increase could be worth a shot now.

Offline Tilsley1471

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2018, 14:01:11 pm »
That's ok - I'm just so grateful whenever you're able to help :-)

I'm still having issues with this pm nap. With a 3hr 30 A time I used to get good naps and as it went shorter I extended it to 3hr 40 but she was just OT. So I've taken it back to 3hr 30 and I'm still getting wake ups in tears after 35 mins and then after 10-15 mins I can eventually resettle her for another 35-40 mins. I think she is OT as when she was UT she would wake happy from these 35 min naps and I just could not settle her. I'm wondering if I should take it back to 3hr 20 although I don't understand why her AM nap is an hour or more on 3hr 30 A time but she may need less A time between 1st and 2nd nap? Or am I reading it completely wrong and she needs more A time between 1st and 2nd nap (although I'm hesitant to try more as she's just waking in tears).

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2018, 14:06:55 pm »
There is a chance of waking and crying being UT too - I know we usually say OT but you also need to look at the A times and what the history of A times tells us too.  I have definitely experienced my DS waking crying when UT and I had many people advising to reduce A time but he had been doing longer happily prior to the problem...then one person suggested UT and I increased and it made him tired enough to transition which meant he slept longer and was happy again.  So I think you are thinking on the right tracks of increasing to 3hr 40 but you might need ot help her, I'd go in and start W2S before she wakes so that she isn't screaming and try to catch her in the drowsy stage and rub, pat, stroke, or jiggle in the cot and use shush or key phrase to get her back off if possible.

Of course it could be the other way around and it could be OT but based on what youv'e said I get the idea of UT and just needs help to adapt.

Dashing out on the school pick up now but if any of this isn't clear let me know i'll try to get back later.

Offline Tilsley1471

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2018, 14:18:47 pm »
Brill thank you!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2018, 17:57:13 pm »
Great, see how you get on. Some times you just have to try and see.

Offline Tilsley1471

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2018, 14:01:17 pm »
We are still having these 35 minute erratic naps again despite trying different A times. We are at 3 hours 30 for am nap which was getting 1.10-1.15 hour naps but now it's 35 minutes but she wakes happy so I'm wondering if that's UT now and to push that out to say 3 hours 40. She seems to prefer a long am nap and that used to be the most consistent and easiest one to get her to do a long nap for and then perhaps do a cat nap pm. The pm nap is just a disaster. Even on 3 hours 40 A time I'm getting 35 minute wakings but after about 10-15 minutes she will resettle herself so I don't know if that's UT or OT? She wakes fussing or crying or it escalates to crying. Thank you

Offline Tilsley1471

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2018, 09:54:06 am »
This morning we had a 5.25 wake up which I was sort of expecting seeing as yesterday's am nap was an UT one. I put her down at 9.25 and she fell asleep within minutes by 9.30 with no fuss and then woke 45 minutes later happy as Larry! Very confused what this means and what sort of A times to try now

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2018, 11:20:23 am »
Hi
As you've increase to 4hr A time today I'd stick at that for a number of days and see if it helps. Try a W2S to soother her through the 45 min mark and see if you can extend that nap.  If you don't have success in lengthening the nap over a period of days or a week I'd increase the first A time by another 15 mins and try W2S again.
If you get a good first nap I wouldn't be too concerned about the afternoon nap as you are unlikely to have time for a long nap.
Whilst you're working on improving nap 1 though, if it is short you'll need to do what you can to try to help her sleep more in the afternoon to avoid OT.

It's not unusual for some LO to have longer than 4hr A at this age so don't be too scared about the increases.

Offline Tilsley1471

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2018, 04:44:43 am »
So far I am at 3.45 A time for 1st nap and 4 hours A time for nap 2 and they have both been an hour at least (not at 1.5 hours yet). The 2nd nap is now finishing later and BT has moved to about 6.50/6.55(about 3.20/3.25 A time)  but she has only been doing 10.5 hour nights now for the last 5 nights since this and waking between 5 and 5.30. I'm just not sure what is going on or what to do now. The first nap is about 1.15-1.20 but she's waking crying and not happy at all - is that UT? I've only done 2 days of 3.45 A time for 1st nap which has got the longer nap but with an unhappy waking. 

I should have said as well that I was trying to do a UT nap for pm one and putting down at about 3.45 A time but she's recently learnt to crawl and pull herself up so she spends 30 mins doing that until about 4 hours A time when she then conks out but it gets to about 3.30pm and I'm having to wake her in the hope of getting her to bed at about 6.30 but that's not working either.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:45:32 am by Tilsley1471 »

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2018, 18:09:15 pm »
The first nap is about 1.15-1.20 but she's waking crying and not happy at all - is that UT? I've only done 2 days of 3.45 A time for 1st nap which has got the longer nap but with an unhappy waking.
This could be UT, yes.  Try another 10-15 mins and see if it helps.

If the first nap is good you'll need to reduce nap 2 if you want to keep BT the same.
Try giving lots of opportunity to crawl and pull up during A so she is less likely to try it at nap time.  Otherwise start the WD earlier so she can do 30 min exercise before going to sleep.

Offline Tilsley1471

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 11:01:41 am »
Hello so lo is 11 months next week. We had a lot of teething issues going on which caused bad naps and early wakings of about 4.20. We seem to have gone back on track but we've lost our way a bit on A times now. She's currently waking between 6.30-6.45 (yay!). I've been trying A times of between 4 hours and 4.15 for this first nap but I get either 35 min naps and wakes up crying but will go back to sleep after about 20 mins for 35-40 mins or she does an hour or 1.10 and wakes crying and may go back to sleep for a bit more. She's basically doing about 1.5 hours but it's broken. Would you say this is UT and should I increase A time more? Today she's done an hour nap on 4.15 A time and woke crying and after I settled her back down she's just playing in her cot now.

The pm nap has become a battle and I'm having to wake her after 20-30 mins as she's not going down until 4ish (she tends to want 3.55-4 hours A time here) so that she will go to bed by 7. I guess this is the 2:1 transition. I'm reluctant to cut her 1st nap short in the hope she does a pm nap because in the past her pm nap has not been very good where as she is a lot better with her am nap. It's just figuring out the A time and it seems like she could poss want 4.5 hours but it just seems such a big difference from what she used to do. She's sleeping 7pm-6.30/6.45 so a good night too. Thank you (as always!) and I hope your house move went well!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2018, 18:14:56 pm »
Hi as your LO is another month older now perhaps you'd like to start a new thread with the age and issue in the subject.