Author Topic: Undertired or overtired???  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Gella75

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 24, 2018, 07:39:05 am »
So I’ve posted on here before about my baby taking short naps and waking after 30 mins. Well just recently she will sleep for 30-40 mins then wake up wide awake and there’s no getting her back to sleep. However I’ll get her up and after about 30 mins she starts whinging again and seems tired so put her back down and she will sometimes fall asleep again.
Do you think I’m putting her down too soon the first time and she’s not actually that tired? Sometimes she’s starts acting like she’s tired after just over an hour of awake time and will usually sleep at 1.5hours if awake time. This varies throughout the day though and sometimes goes 2 hours or more. There’s not much consistency at the min. She is 4 months old.
Should I aim for 2 hours awake time? And she might nap for longer?
Thanks

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Undertired or overtired???
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 09:23:58 am »
Hi there
Yes I'd aim for the longer A time.  Guidance time is 1hr 45 - 2hrs at 4 months so perhaps if she is used to having  a short A time of only 1hr you'd need to increase over a number of days rather than a big jump.  You might say for 2 days that you are going to aim for at least 1hr 15 for instance, if she isn't showing tired signs then you can keep her up longer but if she is then only stretch to 1hr 15.  then after a few days increase to 1hr 30 and then to 1hr 45.
It's okay for the A times to vary across the day a bit.  If she is happy to do 2hrs that isn't a problem it's just I wouldn't stretch all the A times to 2hrs in one go as she's having some of only 1hr at the moment.