Author Topic: pumping to build a stash  (Read 1888 times)

Offline dache

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
pumping to build a stash
« on: May 20, 2018, 16:58:04 pm »
I will be going back to work when dd2 will be 9/10 months old. Since we are dairy free instead of starting with formula I thought I`d try and build a stash for dh to give while I`m at work. I was hoping moms that btdt can give me advice about when should I pump, how often ect.

And Dd2 is 5m1w and I was wondering if the milk that I`ll pump now will suit her nutritional needs as a 9/10 month old?

TIA

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
Re: pumping to build a stash
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 05:06:43 am »
Its still better than formula, even a few months down the line. Just check that she will drink the defrosted milk before you fill your freezer. I had a pretty good stash built up and it turned out that dd hates the taste and won’t touch it, even mixed in with cereal. HAd to start all over again with scalded milk this time.
I personally pump in the morning- half and the other half in the evening after dd goes to bed. Supply is highest in the morning and I probably could do a full bottle but then DD1 wakes up and I just don’t have the time, that’s why I split it. Basically pick a time and stick to it, your body will get used to it and start producing more milk at that time. And keep alternating while pumping, when milk stops flowing switch sides and you’ll find there is still more milk when you switch back.
Good luck!

Offline dache

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 10:18:02 am »
I like the idea of pumping in the morning and evening after she is in bed. I really hope the amount will increase because today I didnt even got 1oz. That`s how it was this whole time.

And you were right about switching sides. Even if I stopped for few seconds there was more milk when I started pumping again.

Offline eva026

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 17:25:56 pm »
Take sone fenugreek to increase supply faster but if you stick to a time you should start producing more then

Offline dache

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 07:26:49 am »
Yesterday I got 0oz  :-\ But today for the first pump I got a bit over an oz. She fed only once around midnight so I think that's why.
I'm not storing the milk now, I need to get some bags but when I do, I freeze what ever I got from a pump? Then when the time comes defrost the amounts needed from how many bags needed? 

Offline eva026

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 09:22:33 am »
Yup, that what I do. Easier to defrost a smaller amount if you haven’t pumped enough than to defrost 150ml and only use half.
You might want to defrost some now and see if she drinks it, in case it turns out you need to scald before freezing.

Offline dache

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 19:29:54 pm »
Thank you. That's what I'll do than. I wasn't home for a few days so I didn't pump but I'm starting tomorrow. I tried giving her what I pumped but she doesn't drink anything from the bottle. But she is drinking from water bottle and cups so mayi I need to buy her a sippy cup