Author Topic: Nursing strike  (Read 1853 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Nursing strike
« on: June 02, 2018, 06:40:53 am »
DD2 is almost 11 months old and bf every 4h during the day with 2nf.
This is day 3 of of a nursing strike and I’m getting worried. It’s 30 degrees and I can’t get enough liquids into her. She won’t take a bottle besides one during a NF that DH gives her. Formula is a no go too. We have tried a sippy, straw etc and I’ve given up on the idea of getting her to drink milk from anywhere besides the breast - only one month more to go anyway.
So Thursday we went to the zoo and she didn’t nurse much, I figured it was because it was too exciting and gave her as much water as she’d have. Yesterday she bf once during the day and I couldn’t get more than a few sips into her. Her nappies were practically dry. She had some water but not enough for the heat. Last night she had 120ml bottle and would pop on and off the breast for the 2nd feed. She’s woken now and won’t bf again!

Do I pump at the times she should be bf? Or keep it in case she wants done?
She chugs down fresh orange juice so maybe try that instead?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Nursing strike
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 05:38:25 am »
If her nappies are dropping off a lot (not enough wet each day), I'd just get her checked by a doctor. Sore ears, sore throat, etc. can cause her not to take much and if that goes on for a while, she may get dehydrated.

Offline eva026

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 06:39:44 am »
Ok, keeping a eye on her.
It got a bit better yesterday afternoon. We’ll see how today goes.
How many bf can I expect at 11mo? Still every 4h and then cut down to 3 a day at 12mo to slowly wean?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 22:14:54 pm »
Its so different for different children at this age. I still did 4 - one at WU, one after each nap (or either side of a nap on one nap days) and a BT feed. I would think if she's thirsty or sore, she'll communicate that to you.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 22:20:15 pm »
I'd just offer whenever you get a quiet moment. If you get time alone maybe try a bath together or take your top off and snuggle in bed so she can latch on when she chooses.

There's some useful info here https://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/nb-challenges/back-to-breast/

I'd pump to keep supply up. Maybe you could try breastmilk lollies? Or use it on cereal etc.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline eva026

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 05:57:16 am »
Ok she’s back, phew. I was getting pretty worried. I’ll definitely try the Lollies if this happens again. She’s gotten a bit odd with her feeding though. She has a biiig bf 5-6am and goes back to sleep, then won’t feed when she wakes 7-8, I keep trying but she won’t have any till 11-12 and her nap. Then one more feed and the BT feed and a night feed at 1am.
That’s a very long break in the morning but a total of 5/24h, so I’m thinking ok? Then when we got 1 nap it will be 3 during the day and whatever night feeds.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:39:09 pm by eva026 »

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 19:59:37 pm »
 you don't have to stop a bf when she drops to one nap.  My ds2 kept 4 daytime feeds until about 22mo IIRC. He just had I've before and one after the nap
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline eva026

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 06:10:04 am »
I know, but I want to cut down and stop soon. I’m going away for a weekend in a few months and don’t want it to be a shock, I’m trying to get more work in and  Also I just feel done. I’m having constant supply issues, despite fenugreek and pumping... just enough. I can keep the NF and BT feed if she needs but want to stop with the day feeds slowly over the next few months
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:22:59 am by eva026 »