Author Topic: Early waking in 7.5 mo  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Helentracey

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 04, 2018, 08:55:35 am »
Hi,

A v common issue I know and so I have read the boards to get some tips but wanted to check I’m thinking on the right lines....

My 7.5 mo old was sleeping until around 7am however over the past 3 or 4 weeks he has woken at 5.37am on the dot! So to begin with I left him and he would usually go back to sleep however he then stopped going back to sleep and more recently his chatting in the cot has got more agitated waking my 3 year old. I then read that between 5 and 7 you just need to do anything to get them back to sleep as otherwise they get used to being awake at that time so I began feeding him 3oz milk and he would usually go back to sleep. Whoever this insitinctively felt wrong and like I am reinforcing the waking and so he now wakes, hf he doesn’t go back to sleep is fed and over the past few nights hasn’t returned to sleep. I get that some chid,REN need less sleep but his wake up time seems too early to me. My plan is to delay the feeding however I don’t anticipate this helping as he is wide awake so he will be even more awake if I delay. Any tips? Typical day:

5.40 awake 5en fed then sometimes back to  sleep
7am morning feed
8 breakfast
9.30 nap
10 wake up
12 lunch
12.30/1 nap
2.30/3 wake up, afternoon bottle
5 dinner
6.30 bathtime
7.15/7.30 sleep

Thanks

Offline lovingdad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 15:37:31 pm »
Hi helentracey, this seems like a very very similar routine we have done with our son and he went through the EXACT same thing, waking around 5.30am for a week or 2 but it did pass and up until a few days ago (he's 9 1/2 months old now) he was sleeping till 6.15-7am. we didnt change anything and it did pass. Is he crying when awake of just in his cot playing? we used to try and leave him in his cot as long as we could providing he wasnt crying to encourage him that it isnt ready to wake up. Also do you use a blackout blind? as the days are getting longer the sunlight may be waking him?

rest assured it did pass after a couple of weeks...stick at it...babies are constantly going through "phases". sounds like he has a solid routine and is doing well. Maybe try and up his solids if hes still hungry?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Early waking in 7.5 mo
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 18:12:47 pm »
Hi there
Could you just check your EASY that you posted please?  it looks like just 2 milk feeds but sometimes people forget to type in the others. At this age I would expect 4 milk feeds in the day (with possibly some milk top ups happening right after solids) and 1 night feed (either DF or NF).

Otherwise, the last A time looks pretty long for age.  I'd probably look at the overall routine and see if you can put a little more A time in the first and second A times so that the last one is shorter.  Waking at 5 ish can be OT (due to long A time before BT).

Offline Kerriam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 10:40:53 am »
I was just coming here to post pretty much the same thing. My near-8 month old is going thru the same thing. I can’t leave him in his crib too long because he shares a room with my 3 year old and wakes him up with his chatting. Our EASY looks very similar to yours as well. But is your LO only sleeping for 30 minutes at that first nap? Perhaps the first A Time is too long? You’re saying it’s 4 hours (5:30-9:30). Is that right? And @creations seems to think that needs to be lengthened? I’m slightly confused. I’ve been putting my LO down at 8:30 when he wakes at 5:30 and he’s been sleeping for 1.5-2 hours. The rest of our day looks similar to yours and although his morning nap is good, he’s still waking up super early and very tired. 😓

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Early waking in 7.5 mo
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 15:11:40 pm »
You’re saying it’s 4 hours (5:30-9:30). Is that right? And @creations seems to think that needs to be lengthened?
No the suggested increase is based on a 2.5hr A time from 7am to 9.30am.  OP said often LO was waking and would go back to sleep if fed. it was just a few days he didn't go back to sleep.

The second A time is also 2.5hr whilst the last is 4hr to 4hr 30.

Kerriam I would suggest that if you day looks similar you may also have too long an A time before BT in the evening although it's hard to say without seeing your EASY. Please feel welcome to begin a new thread with your issue for support.

Offline Kerriam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 18:52:23 pm »
Thank you! I will create a new thread :)