Author Topic: 7 months Broken Feeds  (Read 102 times)

Offline Tabyria

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I'll donate to BabyWhispererForums
« on: June 11, 2018, 12:38:50 pm »
Hi there, my little one is EBF and is an efficient feeder. She can drain a breast in less than 5min (and I can easily pump 3-4oz in 5min so I imagine she gets more than that in that time). We've never had any issue and breastfeeding has been a real pleasure. But it's been getting progressively more of a battle since she started getting distracted around 4month and it's now becoming tricky to feed her properly. She's still healthy (staying on her curve etc.) but it's just a pain and there's lot of crying involved.

Basically, she will look very hungry and eat avidly for 2-3min but then she unlatches and is totally uninterested. She pushes the breast and gets upset if I keep offering. But if I stop there, she'll cry for more within about 15min and the cycle repeats itself. During the day, I ended up going back to feeding her tiny feeds every 2h which is driving me nuts. So I'm now making a real effort to go back to 3-4h and it's working ok-ish during the day. I feed in her darkened bedroom and create little breaks and put her back on. If we go out, she won't eat at all or the bare minimum.

But in the evening it's still a nightmare. She'll feed very well for 2-3min and then stop. if I put her to bed, she'll start crying and if I come back after 5min to put her to the breast, she'll act as if she was starving, but only eat for 1-2min and then the whole cycle begins. Now that I've understood that, I do little pauses during the feed (with basically no light, in her bedroom), to have a cuddle, then read a book, then sing a lullaby. Every time I put her back on and she eats happily for another minute or so. It took 1h yesterday. I thought I had nailed it but nope. She still cried.
There's teething going on at the moment (first tooth poking out) so we gave her calpol. After 20min she wasn't calming down so I tried just in case and she finally had a massive feed, falling asleep at the breast!

As I said, this has been going on for weeks so I don't think it's (solely) linked to teething making sucking uncomfortable. And she falls asleep on her own (I managed to wake her up gently yesterday before putting her back into bed) so it's not that she needs the association in the evening. I wish I understood why to avoid all the crying in the evening!

She doesn't like bottles and has always refused to take more than 3oz from them so that wouldn't really help.

Any tip????

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 591
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: 7 months Broken Feeds
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 17:15:01 pm »
Have you started solids? If so, how much is she getting? If not, might be time.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 370
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 08:31:42 am »
The world is just too exciting right now and coupled with the teeth it's very distracting.
You could dry giving a frozen wash cloth or teething toy to bite on for a bit before feeds.
It's a normal phase and she'll grow out of it eventually.  I think the pauses you are doing are a good way to deal with it.  I know it's very frustrating though.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Tabyria

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I'll donate to BabyWhispererForums
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 16:10:33 pm »
Thanks Ali! I'll try the teether/wash cloth before feeds to see if it helps.

Deb, yes we've started solids a few weeks ago. She's still figuring out that she needs to swallow and not play with it on her tongue though  so I don't think it's doing much in terms of filling her up, although there is progress. I've kept it only at lunchtime so far and I've even skipped it a couple of times last week because it's hard to leave enough of a gap between milk and solids when she snacks every two hours. And as milk is the main source of calories I'm worried we'll lose it over solids if she's too full.

Yesterday and today, the only way to get her to take a full feed is at naptime: she will refuse the feeds or snack until she's in her sleeping bag and I leave the room. Then she'll start crying and realise she's hungry  ::) 

I'm also wondering if it's linked to flow. I have a pretty strong flow and I have the feeling she gets frustrated when it slows down. Switching sometimes makes her continue, although not for very long and she doesn't want to go back to the other one. I've tried compression but she immediately unlatches so maybe it isn't it  ??? Might try breastfeeding tea to increase supply to see if that makes any difference.

I really hope this phase ends soon. I'm not worried for her health so in a way it's ok, but as you say it's frustrating and that makes me less confident about upping the solids.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 16:14:03 pm by Tabyria »

Online becj86

• Naps and Night Wakings
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 344
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 20:51:43 pm »
I'm also wondering if it's linked to flow. I have a pretty strong flow and I have the feeling she gets frustrated when it slows down. Switching sometimes makes her continue, although not for very long and she doesn't want to go back to the other one. I've tried compression but she immediately unlatches so maybe it isn't it   Might try breastfeeding tea to increase supply to see if that makes any difference.
I had an issue with DS not liking the second letdown because he'd become used to sucking and didn't want another lot of milk just thrown at him. Its a bit like drinking from a hose, initially it feels tricky when the tap is first turned on then you get used to it but if someone turns the tap on further, its hard to cope with the increased flow. I found feesing in a recliner helped as I could lie back when that behaviour started and just having gravity working against the flow of milk was eniugh to keep him feeding.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 370
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 22:31:43 pm »
What we mainly do with BFs (my DD2 is 6.5mo) is have breast milk then a bit later we eat the solid foods, then after we clean her up from eating the solids I offer the breast again. She normally takes some. This is actually what Tracy suggested doing. Breast milk helps digest solid foods as well as milk washing the food down so it makes sense to have a second feed. Also, the idea is that eventually she will  naturally take less at the second feed as she'll be full from the solids. We do also offer water in a sippy at most solid food meals but she doesn't take much yet.

Do you do laid back nursing to counter the fast flow?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011