Author Topic: 12 weeks on short naps help EASY routine  (Read 16625 times)

Offline Matt'sMom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Matthew's mommy
Re: 12 weeks on short naps help EASY routine
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 13:16:44 pm »
hi Creations

may I ask you about A times? should I be extending it to 2hour for DS ( DS is now 19weeks)

What happened was when I try with 2hr A time he slept 38min naps, so I panicked and the second day I reduced the A time, with 1h45m - 1h7m nap1, at 1h55m he slept 2hour nap2, at 1h56m -51m catnap
but the thing I noticed was when his A time are below 2hours, both of his NW/NF (1am & 5am) he was very awake and don't cry for milk like his usual self. plus after drinking 5oz of EBM it took me another while to settle him back to sleep. Rightly so today he is very tired from long wake at night. I read in the forum that perhaps its due to not extending the A time.

If I were to extend A time to 2hour, would you suggest I push it for the whole day or just one of the nap?

Thanks in advance. Hope the move to new home went smoothly.

Offline babiiprycess

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 14:49:05 pm »
hi Creations

Congratulations on moving to new place

We are still waiting, I have been asking but that is earliest appointment available given to us. We went to see a general doctor, he of course don't think DS has reflux that needed medication

The last few days miracle happened, DS started doing 1.5hr and 1 hr nap , not sure how perhaps his short naps were developmental or me not putting him to sleep on the right time. I didn't do anything different and we have not started medications for reflux

The good news is the 4am wake up (happy and chatty) also stopped. but the waking 30 min and 1.5hr after bed time still happens sometimes , not sure what is the reason to that. Maybe my bedtime is not right.

I hope he will continues to do long naps,

Yay!! I’m glad the naps got longer!! I’m still struggling but it looks like there’s hope! My son is waking around 4:30/5 and chatting too, do you think that has to do with the short naps?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2018, 09:03:57 am »
may I ask you about A times? should I be extending it to 2hour for DS ( DS is now 19weeks)
Yes I think so although of course I am not there with your baby and you know him best.
The guidance time at 5 months is 2hr to 2hr 30 and as your LO is approaching 5 months I'd say increase to 2hr or even a bit more.  2hr is the 4 month A time.  Here's a link:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=84884.0

The move was hard work but pretty smooth, thank you.
DS coped remarkably well despite having to be put to bed on the sofa night 1 as the removal firm hadn't brought in his bed and were still banging around until 11pm!  I was grateful for our sleep song and his lovey...he just listened to his song, snuggled his muslin and went off to sleep :)

Offline Matt'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Matthew's mommy
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 01:50:04 am »
hi Creations

Congratulations on moving to new place

We are still waiting, I have been asking but that is earliest appointment available given to us. We went to see a general doctor, he of course don't think DS has reflux that needed medication

The last few days miracle happened, DS started doing 1.5hr and 1 hr nap , not sure how perhaps his short naps were developmental or me not putting him to sleep on the right time. I didn't do anything different and we have not started medications for reflux

The good news is the 4am wake up (happy and chatty) also stopped. but the waking 30 min and 1.5hr after bed time still happens sometimes , not sure what is the reason to that. Maybe my bedtime is not right.

I hope he will continues to do long naps,

Yay!! I’m glad the naps got longer!! I’m still struggling but it looks like there’s hope! My son is waking around 4:30/5 and chatting too, do you think that has to do with the short naps?

hi Babiipryces

Am so sorry to reply so late, things been busy for us with in laws visiting and staying for 3 weeks

To be honest DS is still doing short naps a lot of the times, I think its got to do with me putting him to sleep at the wrong time, still not very good at looking at his tired cues. when i got the right A time, he takes 1h20m - 2 hr nap.
About your question on waking and chatting around 4:30/5, I followed Creation and forum mod advise to increase the A time, it stopped after that. Now if he wakes I get nervous in case he stays awake and continue to play, but he usually does not and goes back to sleep after feeding. he still wakes 2 times a night for feeding

I think DS (5 months) now is at A time around 2h15 -2h30m, am still trying to get the right time so that his naps does not end up short, when i get it wrong, he napped 30-38m only. :(  he gets sleepy at 2h for first nap and the few times I let him go to nap and he wakes after at 38m, so I don't anymore

Hope things are getting better for you  :)  I certainly find advise from Creation and Ali really helpful, I try not to stress about his naps. try my best to provide the best environment for him to sleep, DS job is to sleep, I cannot really force him.
taking a step back and relax helps me to see and notice his sleeping pattern or fuss. am still learning

Offline Matt'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Matthew's mommy
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2018, 01:53:54 am »
Yes I think so although of course I am not there with your baby and you know him best.
The guidance time at 5 months is 2hr to 2hr 30 and as your LO is approaching 5 months I'd say increase to 2hr or even a bit more.  2hr is the 4 month A time.  Here's a link:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=84884.0

The move was hard work but pretty smooth, thank you.
DS coped remarkably well despite having to be put to bed on the sofa night 1 as the removal firm hadn't brought in his bed and were still banging around until 11pm!  I was grateful for our sleep song and his lovey...he just listened to his song, snuggled his muslin and went off to sleep :)

Thanks Creations for the A time advise, hopefully slowly but surely i get his right A time.
Its so incredible that your DS can settle well into a new place without any issue. I hope my DS will too as he grows and gets better at sleeping independently

Offline babiiprycess

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 02:59:55 am »

[/quote]

hi Babiipryces

[/quote]

Hi! No worries, life can definitely get busy with our little ones. Unfortunately I’m back to work already so no choice but to take a step back. My mom is watching my son so the only times I can really observe him is the weekends which I am soaking up :) Long naps here and there are still pretty good! Did you keep his awake time at 2hrs until he was 5 months?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 09:21:12 am »
Thanks Creations for the A time advise, hopefully slowly but surely i get his right A time.
Just be aware the A times increase quite rapidly at this age. At 6 months it will be more like 3hrs and the weeks seem to pass by very quickly, you'll be there before you know it!

Offline Matt'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Matthew's mommy
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 04:31:37 am »

hi Babiipryces

[/quote]

Hi! No worries, life can definitely get busy with our little ones. Unfortunately I’m back to work already so no choice but to take a step back. My mom is watching my son so the only times I can really observe him is the weekends which I am soaking up :) Long naps here and there are still pretty good! Did you keep his awake time at 2hrs until he was 5 months?
[/quote]

hi,
No i did not.
DS just turn 5 months yesterday, last week his A time was around 2h20-2h30, sometimes lower some times higher
 e.g. yesterday his 1st nap at A time 2h30 he slept for 1hr25m,  but nap 2 i put him down for the same time and it give me a 30m nap, and 3rd nap same A time, woke up at 28m and went back to sleep for another 45 min not sure what to make of that

I think he was around 4 months when his A time was 2h, and i gradually increased it to 2h15 sometimes back again esp when i follow his cues for 1st nap in the morning which i think was wrong.

Offline Matt'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Matthew's mommy
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 05:14:20 am »
Just be aware the A times increase quite rapidly at this age. At 6 months it will be more like 3hrs and the weeks seem to pass by very quickly, you'll be there before you know it!

Thanks Creations,
will increase A time again in a week or 2
May I ask you about bedtime, I am struggling to get the correct A time before his bedtime.
yesterday we had ( all A time 2h30m for naps, A time to BT was 3h5m)
Nap1 -1hr25m
Nap2 - 28m
Nap3- 28-30m, then went back to sleep for another 45m on his own
I started BT wind down at 1h30m, DS didn't go to sleep at all, roll in the bed and then i try to help and pick him up and put down, after a long struggle he started crying around 2h30/40m A time, in the end could only go to bed at 3h, he was severely OT by then, we had 2 NW, and he woke up early at 550am when BT was nearly 9pm

Its funny because on the days when he does short naps all through out the day, i would know what to do, i put him to bed as early as 6pm, but when he has a longish nap or extra nap sleep, he is not as tired and I don't know for sure when is his BT. we always end up with a long wind down with me desperately trying to help him to sleep at nearly 3 hour A time. He usually is a able to drift off to sleep on his own when i get it right, when not I need to hold him until he is very drowsy.

is there a max number of hours for day sleep?, how long does a 5mo need to stay awake for day until he is tired enough for bed or is that just completely wrong?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2018, 07:35:56 am »
Hi there
Sorry for the delay.
I've hurt my back and unable to sit at the computer to respond properly.  Keep at it and I'll tyr to catch up when I am feeling better.

Offline Matt'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Matthew's mommy
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2018, 12:57:52 pm »
hi Creations

will certainly  do!!
sorry to hear you have hurt your back, hope you get well soon. do take care

Offline babiiprycess

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2018, 19:45:59 pm »

hi,
No i did not.
DS just turn 5 months yesterday, last week his A time was around 2h20-2h30, sometimes lower some times higher
 e.g. yesterday his 1st nap at A time 2h30 he slept for 1hr25m,  but nap 2 i put him down for the same time and it give me a 30m nap, and 3rd nap same A time, woke up at 28m and went back to sleep for another 45 min not sure what to make of that

I think he was around 4 months when his A time was 2h, and i gradually increased it to 2h15 sometimes back again esp when i follow his cues for 1st nap in the morning which i think was wrong.

[/quote]

Hi! Mine LO does the same! He was at 2hr awake times and he finally managed to sleep for 1.5hr in the morning but the rest of the naps are so unpredictable! We’ve pushed it to 2hr 15 mins and still the same. He’s turning 5 months next Thursday! Man time is flying. I saw your question about BT. I’ve noticed if my son sleeps 3.5-4hrs during the day he doesn’t sleep as well at night, 3+wakes and tossing and turning. If he sleeps 3-3.5 then we get one or two wakes. On days he sleeps more I should probably put him down later but it never works since that means to long of a wake time.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 19:48:27 pm by babiiprycess »

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2018, 07:29:02 am »
Hi Matt'smom.
sorry it's been such a long time.
Hope things are going well for you.