Author Topic: Night weaning?  (Read 2464 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Night weaning?
« on: June 23, 2018, 12:16:09 pm »
Dd is around 11.5mo and still does 2 NF. Should I be night weaning her or will she drop feeds on her own. She’s a bit slow with this and had 2nf up to 9mo. Now DH does one feed 150ml of ebm and I do the second.
BT feed is 8pm, NF 1 bottle 11.30-1, NF 2 bf 4.30-7.30, she sometimes does sleep through on the one feed but it’s pretty rare and she won’t bf in the morning after the 2nd NF.
Should I be trying to get rid of a feed - if so how? She’s genuinely hungry when she wakes, takes a huuuuge feed and goes back to sleep.
DD1 dropped feeds on her own and was definitely on 1nf by now and no NF by 13mo.

Offline eva026

Re: Night weaning?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 12:18:43 pm »
Generally this arrangement with DH works well and I’m getting enough sleep but going anywhere without him means I’m a zombie. This weekend he’s away 2 nights and it will be tough. Then in a month I will be away without him for a week, dreading that. I can deal with the 1 NF but 2 is a bit much after not having 8h sleep in a row for a year.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 22:45:22 pm »
There's no need to wean a NF unless you're desperate to. Sounds like she's still taking plenty, especially if happy with the bottle and not just looking for comfort from the breast.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline eva026

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 08:38:56 am »
No, not desperate to until the beginning of August. Then hopefully she’ll be on 1 NF and I’ll survive a week without DH

Offline eva026

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 12:02:25 pm »
She’s also refusing some of the daytime bf but I’m not pushing it. Figured she’s 2 weeks off 12 mo anyway. I offer solids if she won’t bf. Is that ok ?
Today she bf 7.30am, breakfast solids, tried bf 12 but she refused so gave her lunch. Tried bf around 2 but she refused, she bf at 4, snack, dinner then tried to bf for BT but she refused again.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 18:06:30 pm by eva026 »

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 22:58:02 pm »
Nursing strikes can be common at this age which is why many people will think LO is weaning. Just keep offering and she'll take what she needs.

Offline eva026

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 06:20:51 am »
Ok, thx for the encouragement.
I can only get 2nf into her a day and 1-2 at night. Looks like she’s about to drop the one NF though. 3 in 24h isn’t too bad for this age, right?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 19:54:38 pm »
No, if 3 BFs is all she wants then that's fine.

Offline eva026

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 20:33:10 pm »
Thanks 😀

Offline eva026

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 06:50:57 am »
Just popping on with a quick question. Dd dropped one NF on her own but there is still one  that DH has been doing with pumped milk. He waits till 2 and does a df if she doesn’t wake. If we leave her she’s up hungry at 3-4am. I definitely don’t produce enough milk at night any more - we were away 4 days and tried bf instead of bottle and it was awful. She wasn’t getting enough so was up every hour after to try her more etc.
anyway, my question is, does she have to get my milk in the bottle at night? I was thinking of giving formula instead. Or is cows milk better at this stage? Pumping is becoming more And more difficult because I’m back at work and need 3 pumping sessions to get 120ml. She still does morning and BT bf and I’m ok with keeping that a few months more. The pumping is driving me crazy through!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 22:35:23 pm »
So sorry for the delay in replying. How are things now?

The trouble with giving formula or cows' milk in a bottle at night is they will both rot her teeth.  As long as her teeth are clean when she drinks it breastmilk isn't harmful to teeth.

After 12mo she doesn't need formula so could in theory have cows' milk if you prefer.   Or have you thought about watering the bottle of bm down?

Offline eva026

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 07:32:48 am »
That’s what I thought, wasn’t sure though. Was hoping maybe bm was similar to cows milk regarding teeth.
I was away a week without DH to do the night bottle so figured I’d just feed a night or two and see how things go without pumping. She slept through for 5 nights in a row! Now we are back home and NF started again. So I’m back to pumping, so annoyed because I totally got my hopes up. I’ll have to start taking fenugreek again because I just don’t have enough to pump.

Never thought of adding water to milk. Will give it a try tonight. Anything to drop a pumping session... it takes 3 to get 100ml!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 17:38:02 pm »
No I'm afraid not. Breastmilk is a living product containing active ingredients like lactoferrins which kill the bacteria that causes tooth decay. Cows' milk is just an excellent food source for the bacteria to thrive on. If you feed directly the breastmilk is also delivered to the back of the mouth thus having less contact with teeth than milk from a bottle which pools in the mouth so the teeth are swimming in it.

Just to clarify for anyone reading, watering down the milk is a suggestion I made to help with night weaning and wouldn't be advisable for a younger baby or if you weren't looking to cut down 🙂