Author Topic: 12 weeks old al lof a sudden short naps and 45min wakes in the night  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Mammazzilla

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
First of all sorry for my Engligh, I'm not a native speaker  :)
My DS Ethan, 12 weeks tomorrow, used to be a decent sleeper, taking 3 1.5hours naps during the day, and a shorter one in the late afternoon. He sleeps in his Moses's basket, put him down after swaddling and rocking for 5/7min when he' drowsy. since 4/5 days he only naps 45 min, so all my routine is gone. He suddenly also wake up at night after a longish stretch (4/5 hours) every 45 min. He used to sleep from 8.00pm to 7.00am with only 2 night feeds (different time every night). he's EBF.
please can someìbody help me?
EASY:
7.15am A
8.20 S
9.00 E
9.20A
10.30 S
11.15 A or E depending on the days
11.45 /12.00 E
12.15 S
13.00A
14.15 S
15.00 E and so on...
he takes 5 45min naps but wakes crying so I know he's still tired. he usually took longer naps.
Please help, I'm confused and exhausted and feel just like crying .
Erika + Ethan

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 12 weeks old al lof a sudden short naps and 45min wakes in the night
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:06:50 am »
Hi, welcome to BW :)

I think he may do better with a tiny bit more A time (try 5-10mins more than the 1:30 you have going at the moment).

Have you tried resettling him? If so, what happens?

Have you read about wake to sleep? You could certainly try that about 25mins into his nap to try and reset his sleep cycle and get him to sleep longer again as he did before.

He may be hungry - 3 months is a classic growth spurt time and it might be worth feeding him when he wakes rather than waiting until 3hr has passed.

When he's waking every 45min in the night, what's his behaviour like? Is he in pain or hungry, does he seem like he has trapped wind?

Sorry for so many questions, I need to know a bit more so I can make sensible suggestions.

Hugs for the exhaustion xx

Offline Mammazzilla

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 09:43:42 am »
First of all thanks for the answer 😀 he is now back to normal night sleep, so he goes down at about 7.30pm and wakes at 1/2 to eat and again 4/5 to eat than awake at 7.00am. The problems since about 2 weeks are day naps, he only sleeps for 45 min. If I try to resettle he cries and fuss, he's used to fall asleep on his own after 5/10 mins of WD so he doesnt like my resetting attempt. He wakes up crancky and after 10 mins he's happy and ready to play.. he usually has 4 naps during the day, what do I do wrong? How come he doesnt sleep any longer but only 45 mins? I tried to go in and pat him after 25/30 minutes but he still wakes up after 45 mins. Do you think it's only developmental and he will grow out of it?

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 21:20:57 pm »
It could well be developmental and he may well grow out of it.

It could also be that he's just not quite tired enough. I think if you can just shorten your WD a bit or start it a little later, he may well be just that touch more tired.  Do you have anything that changes after he falls asleep and in that 45min of sleep? White noise turning off (including you turning off the shower, vacuum, whatever), you not being there, etc. for example?

Offline Mammazzilla

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 06:47:20 am »
I don't use white noise, it seems to disturb him. Nothing changes, he sleeps on his own since birth and the wd routine had almost always been the same. I'll try w2s and see if it helps...

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 03:16:38 am »
How's it going? I wonder if its a developmental blip since the nights went back to normal and its a relatively sudden problem...

Offline Mammazzilla

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 11:08:13 am »
Hi!! So I tried w2s and it does help. If I do it he sleeps for couple of hours instead of only 45 min. For how long should I keep doing w2s?

Offline becj86

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 00:00:00 am »
Do it for a week then stop and see if he goes through on his own.