Author Topic: Transition from 1>0 nap - is it time?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Transition from 1>0 nap - is it time?
« on: June 27, 2018, 09:42:26 am »
Hi team

It's been a long time since I last posted here.  But in a way that's great because my LO has been sleeping pretty well!

It's winter time here in NZ and my DS (2 years 2 mo) has started waking earlier (previously 6am; now 5/5.30 am).  Finding it harder to get to sleep at night (lots of mucking around - BT is 6.30/7pm - sometimes will be awake til 8pm).  Still napping at approx. 12.30 pm for 1.5-2 hours but some days is starting to refuse.

Should we be looking at reducing/capping that nap time so we get better night sleep?  The 1>0 transition advice post seems to suggest bringing the nap earlier or reducing the nap by 15 minutes at a time.  Do you think he's exhibiting the signs of dropping the nap?  He gets very tired on the days he refuses a nap so like today he went to bed a little earlier.  Will be interesting to see if he beats me awake in the morning (I gotta get up early to go to swimming tomorrow!)

My now 4 year old DD dropped her nap at age 2.5yrs and basically just stopped without us prompting or having to transition so this is slightly new territory.

Thanks for any suggestions/observations about what is happening here :) He's a very active little boy and isn't keen on "chilling out" in place of a nap so appreciate anyone's opinion here.
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Transition from 1>0 nap - is it time?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 12:26:28 pm »
Hello :) Nice to see you

Some LOs will nap earlier and therefore shorter as they'll be UT.  It sounds like your LO is refusing the nap sometimes though so it could be a big fight to try to make him nap even earlier.  You could instead move it 15 min later so that he is willing to go down regularly, daily, but then cap it so it doesn't end later, maybe cap at 1.5hr so it never goes to 2hr.  Again capping doesn't suit them all so really you have to just and see.

It does sound like a tweak would help though as the night is very short if it's only 8pm to 5am on some nights.  My DS also went down to 9hr nights at the start of the 1-0 drop.