Author Topic: We messed up our toddler :(  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Nat.lou.al

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I'll donate to BabyWhispererForums
« on: July 06, 2018, 15:33:18 pm »
We have a 31 month old who's been on EASY since 3 months old, he's always been a great sleeper but he's had a lot of change recently and now sleep/naps have become a huge battle.
He's baby brother was born 6 months ago, which he handled incredibly well, 2 months later transitioned to his big boy bed, again handled super well, continued to sleep through and waited for us to get him up at 7 each morning. But then we took a long haul flight with an 8 hour time difference, which turned out to be a good but quite overstimulating 3 week trip to see family.
Since we got back 2 months ago, of course initially we dealt with jet lag, then he got sick but his sleep has been messed up ever since.
Before our trip he had one good 2-3 hr nap at noon and BT at 7, no protest. Sometimes 6.30 if he started to get OT coz he's a high energy boy.
Now he fights  both nap and BT, naps are usually 45min-1hr, max 1.30. BT starts at 7 (following his same routine) but has turned into a game, getting up between 2-10 times, requesting to pee, a drink, curtain 'a bit less' etc etc. Then waking early between 5.10-6.20, we put him back to bed until 6.30. Usually 2-6 times the last 10 mins usually spent sat on the end of his bed waiting for Mr sun (gro clock). We introduced the gro clock a month ago but hasn't worked for him at all.
I know he's a growing toddler and pushing boundaries etc, but he's usually such a happy kid now he's a time bomb ready to loose it at any second. How can I help my little dude sleep again?? So grateful for any suggestions

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: We messed up our toddler :(
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 15:42:07 pm »
Hi there it could just be a mixture of him being ready to drop the nap and developmental stuff going on. My DS1 was never bothered about the attentions his little bro got until he turned about 6 months old and became a bit more of a threat, he may well just be seeking extra attention from you.

You could be in a bit of an OT/UT loop, I’d try a really short day and early BT say 6/6.15pm if you can as often the acting up can be a sign of missing the sweet spot as such I’d there’s been a lot of EW.

If he doesnt nap then ideally you want a max of 12 hour day although this isn’t always possibly with family schedules etc but some need early nights for a while, if you do get a nap maybe try calling it at 30/30 mins and keeping Day shortish x
Zoe

Offline Nat.lou.al

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 19:54:26 pm »
That's a great point, he is likely seeing little bro as more of a threat lately because he's awake more and just started sitting/eating solids. We've probably been offering lo more praise too because of these milestones.
Also our toddlers speech has come on remarkably in the last few months, so developmental stuff quite likely too.
I'll try out some early nights and see if we can get back on track and be more aware of offering him positive praise.
Are you familiar with the gro clock? Wondering if I should offer a 'special treat' for when he gets up with mr sun?
Thank you so much for your quick, helpful response

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 20:01:30 pm »
Yes we’ve had a grow clock, for DS1 it didn’t make any difference but he’s an active dude but I know it’s been amazing for others.
If he understands it’s worth a try, also we did a lot of mummy and big boy special outings even if it was just to the shop to chose a magazine or get a cake together, or baking together and hubby taking DS2 out the way, my eldest used to love mummy time still does really x
Zoe

Offline Nat.lou.al

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 04:51:40 am »
We put him down earlier, had a few get ups and requests but ultimately he fell asleep earlier than usual so we'll see what the morning brings.
Great point too, we have very little 1 on 1 time together, it's easy to forget how much his world has changed. Thanks again, fingers crossed

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 06:10:34 am »
His whole world has changed and what was once totally his for cuddles, attention is now shared with this little being.

Fingers crossed for a good night x
Zoe