Author Topic: 5:30 EW - 21 months - routine change needed?  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 5:30 EW - 21 months - routine change needed?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 17:08:59 pm »
You've gotten a lot of good advice. So, my input may not help.
I have three kids (4.5, 3, and 1.5). I am currently dealign with EW (5am) with my 1.5year old, so I totally get your pain. However, I am an hour ahead of you (Sweden), so I am technically getting up at at 4am, your time.  ;D

Anyway, I have always been quite quick to drop their mid day nap around 2 years of age. Its definitely on the early side, I get that. However, my kids attend a part time day care who does naps at noon. Often, they weren't ready to sleep until later and then I'd show up for pick up at 2pm and get a handful of super grumpy kids who had to be woken to be sent home. Horrible.

So instead, I dropped their naps and went to an EARLY bedtime. 6pm on the dot!
Sometimes, if I felt like they needed extra sleep it was even 5:30pm. Crazy early, I know. BUT, what came from it was that the older two (still working on my third) were use to falling asleep at that time and I would then have an entire evening free! Yep! My husband and I do "date night" every Saturday night, at home. But, since the kids are asleep early, we have time for cocktails and cooking together.
And EW became a thing of the past. They would ALWAYS sleep 12 hours and in the winter 13.

So, what I'm trying to say is that dropping the nap can also be a good thing. As long as he is given enough time to sleep at night. And DONT be afraid of early bedtime. Your toddler won't wake up at 3:30am wanting to start the day just because he went to bed an hour early. You are already a pro at EW so, go drastic and try Early bedtime. :)

Just my advice.
P.S. My kids also have a grow clock and they TOTALLY ignore its purpose.