Author Topic: Is it the right time to drop nap?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline sszskristy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 22, 2018, 13:08:55 pm »
DD is 3 years and 1 month old now. Since she turned 3, she started drop nap gradually, from 3 to 1 nap per week. From about 1 month ago, she dropped daytime nap completely, which happend just after the half birthday. 

The first 2 weeks was super good, sleep from 6:45pm to 7-7:30am without any problems. But from 2 weeks ago, the NW had started. It happened almost the same time every night, just like every single SR we had before. So now I have 2 questions: 

No.1 Does it seem like a half birthday SR to you? Or she is already overtired after more than 20 no nap days?

During these days, she didn't seem tried, even when we drive from play date in the afternoon. And she clearly said she doesn't want to sleep. She would play some pretending games for an hour or so, and then we play together and then dinner time. Just some quiet activities at home for the whole afternoon. And for the bedtime, 6:30 is the earliest I can do. I tried like 15 minutes early but she refused. But yesterday she told me she was tired and want to sleep around 4:30pm, I definitely don't want a late nap because that will lead a super late bedtime like 10 pm.

No2. I am wondering what will happen after your kids dropping nap completely. Do they still need an random nap sometimes? I guess they do just like adults. But how will that happen? Would they ask for it? Or just let it happen naturally like when we are driving or whatever else?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Is it the right time to drop nap?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 05:39:38 am »
Hi

Well for us nap drop has been different for both my kids, DS1 I dropped his nap as he was taking hours to go to bed, so we reduced that gradually.
DS2, he dropped himself at 27 months just refused naps, but after the initial couple of weeks we maybe get a nap twice a week and that is normally only 20 mins just to see him through.

Any transition can cause sleep disruption but she sounds like she’s coping well with no nap, so I’d prob just let the odd CN happen now and then but limit it to 20 mins unless you need a later night.

I’m a lot more go with the flow with number 2 lol x
Zoe

Offline sszskristy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 10:00:18 am »
Hi

Well for us nap drop has been different for both my kids, DS1 I dropped his nap as he was taking hours to go to bed, so we reduced that gradually.
DS2, he dropped himself at 27 months just refused naps, but after the initial couple of weeks we maybe get a nap twice a week and that is normally only 20 mins just to see him through.

Any transition can cause sleep disruption but she sounds like she’s coping well with no nap, so I’d prob just let the odd CN happen now and then but limit it to 20 mins unless you need a later night.

I’m a lot more go with the flow with number 2 lol x

Guess what, She didn’t wake for the last two nights since I posted here, what a magical place haha

Yes, like you said I may just let it happen naturally. Yesterday she did ask for sleep, she was tired finally. I really thought she would fall asleep but she just lied down for 30 minutes quietly. And this helped a lot because she was happy and full of energy when she got up and it didn’t delay the bedtime at the same time. I think this time we really come to the new chapter! And I really like it because we don’t need to rush home for nap and we can have guaranteed early bedtime every single day. And I will remember your 20minutes advice, thank you!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 10:03:18 am by sszskristy »

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Is it the right time to drop nap?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 10:09:44 am »
It is much better with no nap I’ve found mine have better nights and earlier bedtimes x
Zoe