Author Topic: 21 month old taking forever to settle for bed...  (Read 1186 times)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
21 month old taking forever to settle for bed...
« on: July 16, 2018, 16:18:57 pm »
My 21 month old girl is now taking 45-70 mins to settle for bed...
Routine prior to this issue:
630am wake
12:15/12:30-2:00-245 (daycare isn't consistent with PD but she generally gets 2-2.25h nap)
7:30 bed time

I would have simply assumed UT except it was coupled with what seems like over tiredness (silly and hyperactive), she would even tell me she is tired and wants to sleep (not that my toddler hasn't deceived me before)

Are we in an UT/OT loop again?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 21 month old taking forever to settle for bed...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 13:19:39 pm »
I’m no expert but I’m conscious that nobody has replied. My lg was having a much shorter nap at this age, probably 1:15-1:30 hrs max with a 7:30-7 ish night.
Maybe you could consider reducing the nap length?
We had to do this with our lg as it was impacting on her bedtimes and we also got ewu’s. Each time we hit a problem we reduced the nap by 15 mins. She’s almost 3 now and nap free. We still have the occasional ewu and if we can’t squeeze in a 20 min car nap somewhere, preferably earlier in the day, we go for a 30 min earlier bt.
Lots of juggling at this age as they’re working towards no naps in the future. I’d heard it can go on for some time and it does.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 13:50:08 pm »
Thanks!
I was thinking about that (I think selfishness may have blinded me- I do like that 2+ hour break)
My challenge is daycare, they put all the kids down at the same time and let them sleep till certain time.

No EW yet... But we have had a few days of NW (not sure what is going on... Seems overly upset)

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 06:29:26 am »
Aw, it’s such a hard age for them. Lots of developmental stuff going on, their little brains must be fried 😳🙈
We tend to have more better days of late, with the odd ewu or NW resulting in a cranky child 🤦‍♀️
I struggle with sleep related anxiety so have found this stage particularly difficult. Talking on here has helped me lots so I like to try and give back when I can.
The good thing now she is more established without a nap is we can even push bedtimes a little on occasions, so wider family stuff isn’t such a rush to get home for bed. We take jammies with us and I even brave lifting her awake from the car and she goes straight back to sleep. I suppose me being less anxious helps her feel more settled too. The key thing for me throughout has been consistency. Even through the most difficult times we’ve kept the routine the same and trusted her to re settle.

I miss the day nap too, I need time to recharge 😂😂😂
I guess I have to get that at work these days lol x