Author Topic: Getting 14 month old to self soothe to sleep in his crib  (Read 1494 times)

Offline mommyrabbit22

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Getting 14 month old to self soothe to sleep in his crib
« on: July 23, 2018, 20:16:39 pm »
My LO is 14 months old, he is a great sleeper when I can get him to sleep! Even when he wakes in the middle of the night he can self soothe back to sleep with his music box that's in his crib. He even takes great naps! Sometimes as long as 3 hrs! I'm not sure what exactly to do to help him. He gets so worked up with the crying method that he starts coughing. Right now we rock and cuddle until he's a sleep. But it seems to be taking longer and longer to get him to settle down.  Sometimes he even fights me. Pushing away, or he will start poking my face. I've tried giving him social cues that it's time to rest, but he still doesn't want to rest.

I want to make this easier for him and me. If anyone has any advice for me it would be appreciated!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Getting 14 month old to self soothe to sleep in his crib
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 18:17:39 pm »
Hi there, can you post what what his day looks like?
We don’t support Cry it out at baby whisperer so please consider another method.
Do you think he’s maybe over or under tired by bedtime if he can’t settle down?
Zoe

Offline mommyrabbit22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 01:13:59 am »
Well let's see his day usually goes as

615 wake up ( if he hasn't done so on his own) we get dressed and head down for breakfast
630 to 645 is breakfast
715 we are out the door for daycare
He usually has a small breakfast with the other kids at 830
1130 he has lunch (unless its Thursday he get lunch early that day cause he has Occupational Therapy at 1130)
1230 its quiet time / nap time he will usually take a good two to three hr nap
He'll get another milk / snack around 4
I pick him up from daycare at 530
6pm is dinner
If its bath night we get that at 630 if not then we get extra play time or exercises from his therapist
We start our wind down at 7pm and try to get him to lay down by 730. Wind down includes changing to PJs, a full message from head to toe, lullabies and stories.
Sometimes we can get him down sometimes he's just not wanting to lay down.

He does get PT and OT once a week. And he also takes medicine for an adrenal insufficiency that he has. The drs assured me that his medication should not be playing any part in his restlessness at night.  :-\ but some how
I don't believe them.

I didnt know there were other methods of trying to get him to sleep. Most other parents have told me the cry it out is the way to go. And I just only stumbled onto this website seeking help.

Right now our simple little routine seems to be working for him but if there is something we can tweak I would really appreciate the advice.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 06:08:31 am »
We his day looks pretty good for his age sleep and nap wise, does the length of nap have any bearing on how long or how easy it is for him to fall asleep? Once he’s asleep does he stay asleep?

This link is all about gentle sleep techniques https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=80750.msg696517#msg696517

Zoe

Offline mommyrabbit22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 10:36:24 am »
I'll look at the link, thank you :)

He does sleep great once he is asleep. He hardly wakes up in the middle of the night. And if he does he has a baby einstein sea soother in the crib and he'll put that on, and fall back to sleep.

I've noticed that the later he takes his naps st the daycare the fussier he can be. Yesterday he didn't fall asleep for his nap until 1. But when he gets down at 12 or 1230 and sleeps closer to 230 he is easier to put down at night.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 14:50:12 pm »
A lot of LOs whilst having a long nap need a slightly longer day so maybe if his nap is 2 hours stick to 13 hour day but if it’s 3 hours you may need at accept BT gets to 14 hour day.

Personally I’ve always capped at around the 2.5 hour mark at this age with wake up from nap no later than 3pm but all kiddos are different.

For comparison at that age my DS1 was napping 12-2.30pm with WU 6.30am BT 7.45pn but DS2 was having CN 20 mins at 9.30am then nap 1-2.30pm with WU 6.45am BT 7.30pm.

It could just be he’s a little undertired at BT with a lot of day sleep so he’s not ready enough to lay down x
Zoe