Author Topic: Insanely long wind down before bed  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Madrigal

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 26, 2018, 03:40:44 am »
hello!

my LO is 9 months old and he's amazing at most things, but not sleeping (which is all my fault :'()  He can only fall asleep nursing, wakes up still 2+ times a night, and the thing I'd love some advice on is how to manage his wind down time.
We will do our whole bedtime routine, and it's going great. He's tired, calm, looking ready to sleep, nurses with eyes closed and drains my boobs so quickly. Then 10 minutes later he's squealing, giggling, and rolling around on my bed for anywhere from 30 min - an hour. It's exhausting. Tonight took me an hour and 20 from starting the bedtime routine to moving him into his crib after he fell asleep. I am kind of losing my mind!

Any suggestions??

We've started to have a little wind down time 20ish minutes before his bedtime routine, (bath/massage/book/nurse) where we are in his playroom with the lights dimmed and he just independently plays with some toys. But it doesn't seem nearly enough and I don't understand the second wind he gets!

Thanks everyone!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Insanely long wind down before bed
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 21:22:00 pm »
What's his daytime routine?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Madrigal

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 05:12:58 am »
hi Ali,

His days look something like this:

WU @ 7
E  (breast) 7:15
E  solids 7:30ish, but really not much. I've had a hard go getting him to enjoy many things. Many morning are some cheerios and 1/2 banana
A  8:15-10:30 or so
E  at 11/11:30 (he nurses to sleep. really trying to end this habit because its taking over my life!)
S  11:30-12:30

E  1pm solids (strawberries, maybe some toast) & breast milk
A  1:45-3:45
E  4/4:30 (breastfeed to sleep)
S  4:30-5 very short nap here pretty much always.
E  5:30/6: solids, usually some grapes, blueberries, more cheerios. I've been trying to add meat. He likes sausage so far and that's it
A until bedtime routine usually 7. Routine is bath, massage, book, nurse. *

*This is where he's been just so awake lately. During his final A time he will be definitely sleepy, then after his entire routine he gets a second wind..
Tonight was particularly hard. He went down 30 min ago, its currently 10:15pm. I started his bedtime routine at 6 because he was acting SO sleepy. So we slowly did a bath and everything. He passed out while nursing at around 6:30 in bed with me. I was so excited! Then I tried to move him to his own crib and he woke crying  :-\ I nursed him again, but he was wide awake. Rolling around in bed with me, crawling on me, smiling, cooing... Very cute but not so much at bedtime, you know what i mean?! Then he nursed, pulled off, nursed, pulled off, about 20 more times (1 hour) until I had enough and we went out of the room. I gave him some blueberries which he ate happily. Eventually after another hour in bed with him he went to sleep. I was in tears.

If you read that entire thing...bless you. I'm feeling pretty low, how incompetent am I?!

Side note: DH and I are getting ready to start PU/PD in the next couple of days. Wanted to make sure we were on the same page and had to get a new crib for the LO because his current one killed our backs when we attempted PU/PD a week ago.

Offline Madrigal

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 03:26:21 am »
Update!!

We have officially started pu/pd and we moved LO into his own room. Just got through day 3 of pu/pd and not nursing to sleep. Its been rough but tonight he went to bed at 7 with only 15 or so pu/pd's...the first night was 150!

So he does his long wind down thing in his crib now. I'll do pu/pd for a little while and then as I think he's settling he will start to laugh, roll around, work on standing up, etc. Is it okay for that to happen? It lasted about 35 min today! Before it was time to get him up for his next feed (the nap did not happen.)

He's very spirited and I just don't know what to do in these times.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 20:26:23 pm »
Sorry I haven't been back. Glad your working things through.

I was wondering if maybe his wind down at bt is too stimulating for him. Perhaps a bath earlier in the day would work better. If he's already sleepy maybe getting him straight to bed would help.

Offline Madrigal

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 19:32:04 pm »
Hi Ali,

Its very possible its too stimulating...I've always heard that for some babies, baths are relaxing and for others its too exciting. I find books to be pretty stimulating too. But at this point, it's our routine and I'm apprehensive about messing that up too much.
What do you think?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 20:15:26 pm »
If it's not working then I'd try something else for sure.