Author Topic: 3 Years & Night Waking  (Read 1215 times)

Offline kristeno

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 28, 2018, 16:14:19 pm »
I need serious NW help!!

My daughter is about to turn 3. We cut naps about 5 months ago, so she has daily rest time everyday, which is usually about an hour of reading on her bed by herself. I can count on one hand how many times she’s slept through the night in her life, but the last week has progressively gotten worse. The last 2 days, she woke up 5 times & Waking a lot earlier. When she wakes at night, we walk her to her bed, cover her up, kiss her & leave. Here’s her normal routine:

WU: 8
E: 830 breakfast
E: 12 snack
E: 1 lunch
Rest time: 230/3 (during brother’s nap - 1-1.5 hrs)
E: 4 snack
E: 6/630 dinner
BT: 8

Here’s what’s been happening:

WU: 715/730
Rest time: 12/1230
BT: 730, but fell asleep @ 830
WU: 1015
WU: 1210
WU: 1227
WU: 4
WU: 6
WU: 730

I have no idea where we could go from here. I want to reset, but with as early as she’s waking, how do I even begin?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 3 Years & Night Waking
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 21:02:15 pm »
It could be that she's due a developmental leap around her birthday. That can disrupt sleep.

Is she potty trained day and night? Her awareness of this could be disturbing her.

Any big changes in her life recently? E.g. starting nursery or is her brother new,?

Is she able to tell you what she wants when she wakes?

Do you think she gets enough activity and physical exercise during the day? I know my 3yo definitely doesn't need quiet time for example.  On the contrary I have to try to wear her out. What about instead of quiet time alone on her bed you spend 1 on 1 time with her doing something you can't do when her brother is around? Maybe that would help to fill her cup so to speak.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline kristeno

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 22:15:57 pm »
Thank you for the quick response!! I didn’t even consider a leap at her birthday. That could definitely be part of it.

She’s not potty trained yet.

Actually, nothing is very new right now. Baby brother is 5 Months & we’ve passed the “life disruption” stage from that.

When she wakes, she just fusses & whines, saying mommy & daddy. She doesn’t want anything, but for us to sit on her bed while she sleeps.

That’s a great idea about the 1 on 1. We’ll give that a go tomorrow & see if it works. She doesn’t get a lot of physical activity right now. We live in Texas & it’s been 110 everyday for 2 weeks. We do try some dancing videos. But maybe more like “kids exercise” videos would be best.

Thank you!!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 04:23:29 am »
Baby brother is 5 Months & we’ve passed the “life disruption” stage from that.

I think you've passed stage one of it, but well into the "stage 2" of baby sibling gets less of a blob & more active... I think there are about 4 stages between newborn & 2yo that first/second sibling relationships go through.

Also does she mouth breath or noisy with her breathing because it could be a form of sleep apnea that is causing her to wake, so it could be worth getting a medical checkup to rule out slight glue ear or sleep apnea (both of which my DS1 had & we only worked out at 5yo)
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 06:47:45 am »
We found that DS1 was more in need of us when DS2 got 5/6 months plus as number 2 was getting more involved in life like weaning and sitting upright, playing more etc and not just laying in the crib.

We have to really give DS2 lots of exercise and he doesn’t have rest time either now at 2.5yrs, they are different of course!
The leap with birthday coming up is prob not helping too x
Zoe