Author Topic: Early Morning Waking 5:30am!  (Read 1104 times)

Offline sweetpea32018

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 31, 2018, 15:16:23 pm »
Hi,

I'm new at posting thing so bare with me. I have done EASY since my LO was born. However, things got messy when she started having catnaps and snacking (therefore, waking more at night). So I began to stretch out her feeds to get a full feed and she began to not wake up.
I BF up until 5 months (she's 6 months now) with an occasional formula supplement if I needed to go out and left her with someone. Pumping never quite worked out for me. I began weaning from BF because (I believe) I was having trouble with supply or a slow flow. Basically, in order for her to be calm and feed nicely I had to lean over her like a cow. LOL sooooo I was like nuts to this and began weaning. Otherwise, I probably would keep going. We have successfully weaned as of last weekend.
I began sleep coaching her when she was 3 months old - really working on putting her down drowsy but awake. At 4 months I did PU PD and she went to sleep better for a while. We had a bit of a regression last week but she's doing so much better.
Catnapping has always been a problem, but the naps began to get shorter than 45 minutes at 5 months so I started playing around with awake times. I have NEVER gotten her awake times nailed down so I try to have her in her room at 2 hrs 20 min from when she last woke, at the moment.

Here is what our typical day looks like right now.

Wakes up at 5-6am
7am 7.5 oz. bottle
8am solids
9:30am down for nap
11am 7-7.5 oz. bottle
11:30am solids
1pm down for nap
3pm 7-7.5 oz. bottle
4:30pm down for nap
5pm solids
6:30pm bedtime routine
6:45pm 8 oz. bottle
7:30 bedtime

MY problem right now is EARLY MORNING WAKING. I have tried to feed her at 5-6am and put her back down, but she won't go back to sleep. Buuuut when I give her a bottle at 7am it's like I never feed her. It might be hunger, but I have tried increasing bottles to 8oz. - she either gets the hiccups or spits up horribly. I've also tried doing 5 feedings of 6oz. during the day but it didn't make a difference and there was still spit up. I've tried leaving her until she cries (it takes her a long time to cry... she wakes up happy), but that doesn't work. I have NEVER tried CIO or taking her out of her bedroom/bringing her to bed. She will go back to sleep if I get up, when she wakes right away, and rock her to sleep. However, she won't let me put her down. I've been getting up earlier to see what happens when she wakes up that early. She WILL try to put herself back to sleep but will give up quickly. She usually yawns as well.
I can't see us doing PU PD so close to wake time.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! TYIA

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Early Morning Waking 5:30am!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 07:20:28 am »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

Are the naps a decent length now?  Looks like 1.5-2hrs for 2 naps plus a CN, is that right?

There's a chance that a change to routine can help with those early WU times although sometimes LOs just do like to get going early. Mine was like that and I had a battle for a couple of years over his early rising.  It did get later with a lot of effort from me (6.30 WU was brilliant) but it's just the way he is. He's 7yo now and still wakes early regardless of his BT.  Over time I worked out how to keep him quiet and amused in the morning rather than try to force him to sleep.  He was never hungry when he woke.