Author Topic: Pacifier Problem?  (Read 1102 times)

Offline chipsanddip

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 13, 2018, 20:12:49 pm »
Hello all. I apologise if I am posting in the wrong place.
My son is 14weeks and I would say he is a cross between an angel and a textbook baby. Maybe with a bit of spirited sprinkled in there. Generally he sleeps well. He falls asleep fairly quickly from awake. We swaddle him and he uses his pacifier then sit together and hum. Lay him down and he sucks and maybe fusses a bit and goes to sleep. The thing is, he can't seem to fall asleep without the pacifier. And he can't really stay asleep when it falls out. He can bring his hands to his mouth but he hasn't really mastered sucking on them.

I don't mind that he needs his pacifier to fall asleep but what I do mind is that he seems to need it to stay asleep. He will often wake up every 40min from naps. If you put the pacifier back in he goes right back to sleep so he ends up napping for 1.5-2hr by reinserting the pacifier when he wakes. At night he can usually sleep from 730-2am (with a dream feed). At that point he wakes. If I give him his pacifier he can go back to sleep for a while until 330am-ish when he is actually hungry (breast fed). After that he may wake up once or twice and need his paficier to fall back asleep. He eats again around 7am. He doesn't seem to be waking every sleep cycle but I can see it's already becoming a problem and I want to nip it in the bud before that.

Thank you
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 22:03:21 pm by chipsanddip »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Pacifier Problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 18:47:16 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

The SIDS guidance is not to drop a paci if it is depended upon until LO is 6 months. I believe it is due to increased risk.  Where as use of a paci for sleep reduces risk.  Maybe knowing there is a benefit to it can help you choose that it's okay to use a paci??
I can't comment personally as my DS refused a paci so I never had the decision to make.