Author Topic: Sleep problem?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Jemma27x

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 16, 2018, 07:09:15 am »
Hi,

I apologise in advance for the long message  ;D

I posted over in feeding with regards to my baby’s issues with EASY but really it has come to light that it is more of a sleep issue which stems the whole routine. I have been trying EASY now since LG was 8 weeks and she was 14 weeks on Monday and although I learnt lot about awake times and preventing her from being over tired she has been a lot ‘nicer’ in the evening but we are not really any closer to a routine or any predictability ish.

I have fed on demand since baby was about 2 weeks as I tried sticking to a time but LG was such a hungry baby she would scream and scream and it’s just what worked for us but her feeding still is a bit all over the place sometimes she wants it every 2 hours sometimes 4 but the main issue is her reflux - when she lays down she gags and is sick if within an hour of a feed and she gets upset with it unless she is asleep so I can’t follow the typical E A I have to do A E but that’s okay if it’s how it has to be it really depends on her sleep as sometimes it does fall the typical E A it just means I have to try and keep her sat up with activity.

Her main issue though is sleep and In the day it’s nearly impossible to get her to self settle - I have tried hand on chest - patting - but unless she is in my arms she won’t sleep. Once she is in her deep sleep I can put her down but she will wake at 45 mins on the dot and will never self settle back for another cycle unless in my arms rocking her - I try to keep her downstairs for her sleeps in the day so she associates her snuzpod with night time sleeps but I think maybe that may be something I should do and start making all her naps in the snuzpod for quiet and calm unless we are out then the pram/car seat? The only issue with that was I didn’t want her to start needing her crib to settle to sleep as if we are out that would be an issue and worried about leaving her upstairs while I am out of the room or am I maybe looking into that a bit too much?

Her day can be so varied so it’s hard to send an example of times but I know 100% she will have a long Awake time from when she gets up in the morning usually 1 hour 45 mins sometimes longer - her first nap of the day will always be 45 minutes after this even if I’m out in the pram or the car she will wake up - she then has another large awake time for around 1 hour 45 mins and then she tends to be sleepy in the afternoon and will sleep an hour and a half have a bottle and short activity and then again sleep an hour and a half but will only sleep that long if I’m holding her or pick her up and put her down otherwise she has 45 minutes but i can tell she is cranky and she doesn’t give many smiles hardly any eye contact etc. She then will have a long Awake time again about 1 hour 45 this is usually at  around 5ish and she is quite happy on this one and then will have a 45 minute nap and then it’s anyones guess if she will be happy or moody in the evening but she tends to go to sleep around half 9 so sometimes she even has another 45 minute nap depending how the day has gone but I have tried getting to go to sleep earlier but she just wakes up but when she goes to sleep at 9 half 9 that’s her out for a few hours. She then will generally sleep untill half 3 and then stir a bit - i put my hand in and can prolong her for a bit but it depends really but we have had some random sleeps untill 5 - after that she is very restless untill I give up around 7ish.

I saw something which said they shouldn’t really be awake longer than an hour 45 so I try to get her to wind down a little if it’s getting to a long time awake but maybe I’m overstimulating?

I think she clearly can self settle herself at night for her to be able to go a long time so there is something I’m doing in the day which she just isn’t settling - a few times I have tried her up In her crib in the day if I’m pottering around upstairs but she still wakes up after 45 minutes it’s only when holding her she goes longer.

I know she probably won’t ever be perfect I just don’t want her to get a bad habit of me settling her to sleep- I think it’s probably since she has had bad reflux I have always had to keep her up and hold her for 15-20 minutes before laying her down when she was little so in that time she has fallen asleep and so she has probably gotten used to it now.

Sorry again for the long message I hope it makes sense and any help is greatly appreciated..

If you do want me to send a weeks rough example then I can do  :) :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Sleep problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:59:59 am »
Hi thre
sorry you didn't get any replies yet.

I'm a bit short on time so I'll have to try to come back another time to reply properly but for now I just wanted to ask if LO is medication for the reflux and if the medication dose has been checked recently to make sure it is the right amount. It sounds like the reflux is not controlled which makes sleep really hard, LOs will often be unable to transition from one cycle to the next due to being in discomfort or pain or sicking up even if it is small amounts or you can't see it.
Also, is the cot elevated at the head end using cot safe cot blocks or a deep wedge? Or both (my DS had to have both, it was a steep incline).

The idea about not going over 1hr 45 min was likely a general comment or for another LO. BW routines are based on the individual LO and there are some who need longer than guidance A times. If you feel your LO is one of them then perhaps try an additional 10 mins on the A time and see if sleep improves or if she is easier to resettle. you can try this right away.
I can have a better look at routine and your other questions when I have more time.  My DS's play date is due to arrive shortly :)