Author Topic: 9months naps getting longer  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Tabyria

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I'll donate to BabyWhispererForums
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:08:04 am »
Hi there,

I seem to have to wake up my little one every time now. This isn't natural to me but when I let her sleep it seems to mess up with night sleep. A lot of people tell me it's impossible, that sleep begets sleep and that I should never wake up a sleeping baby. She's started crawling and trying to stand up, has four teeth coming out and we've had a lot of bad awful nights as a result in the last month so I figure she needs to catch up on sleep to avoid OT.  But we had a good night last night with only three wakings and a long 5h stretch, and she still had a marathon nap this morning: 2h30! Which will bring the afternoon nap super late and I'll have to cap it as otherwise she won't go down. Should I cap the morning nap?
Our usual rough routine is:

6.30 wake up
7.00 breast (now refusing it most days)
7.30 breakfast
9.15 breast
9.30 sleep
11.00 awake
12.30 lunch
14.15 breast
14.30 sleep
16.00 awake
17.00 dinner
19.00 breast
20.00 sleep
The second nap is moving more towards 3pm, which means 4.30 wake up and 8.30 bedtime. Not ideal but it seems to have finally pushed the 6am wake up closer to 6.40 and it might actually work better when she starts with the childminder next month as we can't pick her up before 6/6.30pm.

Once I let her sleep in the afternoon again and she slept until 5pm, not going down for bed until 9pm.

So I'll have to cap the afternoon nap today and hope I haven't created a bad night ahead of us again.
Why do we think she's suddenly taking such long naps and should I really prevent her from doing it?

Thanks for input!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 9months naps getting longer
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 17:52:05 pm »
Hi there
Sorry to see you didn't get a replyyet.
How are things now?

It could be that your LO has started the 2-1 transition early. Mine started showing signs at 9.5 months rather than 10-11 months and by the time he was 11.5-12 months was down to one nap per day.  I know other LOs on these forums have moved to one nap much earlier, it's just how some are.  If day sleep is robbing from night sleep then I'd cap one nap but probably not both if you can avoid that.  As both naps are long you can probably just choose which you think the most suitable one would be to cap and reduce it by 15 mins.  ie nap 1 is as long as she wants, nap 2 is capped at 1hr 15. This should help to keep BT and WU times reasonable.

Here's a link on the 2-1, it might not happen for a while yet as she might settle down into one long nap and one shorter nap but it's good to know what's coming:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=163278.0

hope this helps