Author Topic: How to wean shush pat when paci won't stay in and tummy/side sleeper  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Katkirch

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My son is 21 weeks. We are finally getting mostly long naps and have a good routine going where he is falling asleep in his crib with shush pat and his paci.  My issue is that I don't know how to wean the shush pat so that he is falling asleep independently. 

He is spirited so after a short wind down I put him in his crib with his paci after he starts to protest me holding him. I've found if I keep him in my arms he just gets more upset.  I lay him on his stomach but he usually kicks to be on his side or partially on his side.  (We tummy/side sleep for naps because of his reflux...it's the only way we've gotten him to take long naps).  At this point he fusses and squirms for several minutes.  Because he's fussing, his pacifier falls out and I have to keep putting it back in.  I've tried putting him down without the pacifier and he just cries and gets really worked up.  He also will often roll over onto his back and he won't fall asleep this way so I have to flip him back.  Once he falls asleep, I can leave right away and he'll keep sleeping. 

I don't mind shush patting him to sleep since it usually is less than 5 minutes but I'm worried that it will become or is a prop.  If he wakes, he can't seem to fall back asleep on his own even when he's still tired.  I'd like him to become more of an independent sleeper by weaning shush pat but I'm not sure how to do this with him flipping to his back and especially with him losing his pacifier while he fusses.

Anyone experience something similar or have any ideas for me?

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: How to wean shush pat when paci won't stay in and tummy/side sleeper
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 00:05:27 am »
Does he use the paci at any other time besides sleep time? Giving him lots of opportunities to practice re-inserting during the day will help him do it more reflexively when he wakes without it.

We found we had to keep a handful in DD's crib so she had a selection to grab for. LOL Only problem was when they kept falling out!

Offline Katkirch

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: How to wean shush pat when paci won't stay in and tummy/side sleeper
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 15:36:18 pm »
He’s still not super great with his hand eye coordination. But that’s a great idea to have him practice during the day. Hopefully he’ll get to the point where he can reinsert it on his own faster that way!