Author Topic: 4 week old will only soothe on my breast. Help, it hurts.  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Anders45

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
4 week old will only soothe on my breast. Help, it hurts.
« on: August 16, 2018, 21:22:43 pm »
 My dd is 4 weeks old. She won't take a pacifier. She screams if I try. I've tried sneaking it in after she's done breastfeeding, putting breastmilk on it, trying a different nipple the tug of war game. She used to soothe on my finger, but since getting her frenectomy revised a week ago, she only screams if I put my finger in her mouth.

She won't fall asleep unless she's suckling. But my breasts are starting to feel it. So I've been feeding, changing her diaper, feeding again (because I can only handle so many hours of screaming in a day ) and praying she'll stay asleep long enough for me to help the other kids (which she doesn't very often). I've done BW with my 3 other kids (3.75, 3.75, 2 yo), so I feel like if I can help her soothe herself without me, I can make the rest fall into place.

Please, please, please give me some hints on how to get her to soothe herself! (Oh, and she does NOT like being swaddled. I blame the frenectomy for that one too). I'm so tired I could cry. :'(

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 4 week old will only soothe on my breast. Help, it hurts.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 15:37:42 pm »
Hi there
Sorry to see you didn't get any replies here.
I hope for you that things have become easier over the last week or so.
I'm afraid I am pretty useless with BF advise but wanted to stop by with a hug.

Offline Moon92

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 03:53:26 am »
Hi I am so sorry for what you are going through... Can she be in pain after the frenectomy? Maybe you want to have her pediatrician check her if it was ok to suck on your finger and it is not anymore ? Have you tried different shape of pacifiers? Also sometimes they like to suck on their fingers but can't find them easily on their own maybe you can help her find her fingers, my daughter used to suck on two fingers or on her fist. For your breast, coconut oil works wonder

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 11:22:43 am »
Any improvement?
Would a sling help you get on whilst keeping her close for now?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011