Author Topic: Multiple night wakings - 19 months  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Lilo's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: August 14, 2018, 21:35:10 pm »
Hi!
I've been battling with my 19 months DD for her to sleep better (my thread below has most of my crying) and I can't seem to understand what is going on.
She has never been a great sleeper. . She is really sensitive and things like diaper rash, teething can disturb her sleep. But, until may this year (16 months), she would sleep on on her own, we would put her to bed when she was drowsy but awake and she would eventually fall asleep alone and often times sleep through the night. But in May we had a major routine change for 15 days (vacations) and after that she never went back to sleeping through the night,
So now it's been 3 months that this daily night waking problem started and it never improves, just gets different. In the beginning she wanted our presence in the room and touching her for her to sleep (both at bedtime and during night wakings). Then she went back to settling on her own at bedtime but still wanted us to be in the room until she was fast asleep. I was feeding her during night wakings so I thought that I had created a habit.

It's been 4 nights that I dont feed her during NW, and still she is waking 2x a night. She wakes, screams for mommy, stands up in her crib and the only way to soothe her is by picking her up and waiting for her to sleep in our arms again.
So now she wakes 2x a night, we don't feed her, but she needs cuddling to get back to sleep. She sucks a pacifier.

I am trying to figure out what the problem is. When she has a full day with no time for naps, she usually sleeps through the night. Could it be that she needs less sleep time?

I thought it was sleep regression but it's been way too long so I am not sure what the matter is anymore. Last night while I was with her in her room, she wouldn’t settle in her crib so I picked her up and spent some time with her in my lap. She was sleeping but very agitated, it was like  she was having a dream, she was crying for her nanny... Can babies this young have nightmares?

As I said before, she's never been a great sleeper. She sleeps fine for the first 2 hours, then starts to fuss. She can sit down, find her pacifier, put it back and go back to sleep. Even if she’s sound asleep, if she wants to roll over in her crib or change position, for instance, she complains and she kind of cries and calls for  mommy. I don’t know if she has a physical discomfort and this is what causes her to not settle alone. Anyway, I don't complain about this because she self soothes. However, something happens at the 5 hour sleep mark that makes her unable to settle alone.  It’s been almost 3 weeks now that she wakes up around one and 2 AM every night (first waking). Then her second NW is about 3 hours after this.

Her day usually starts 8,30 am, she has her 1h - 1h30 nap at 1,30 pm, and betime is at 8,30 pm. She eats very well. I put her to bed awake during nap time.

HELP!!!

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=289272.0;topicseen

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Multiple night wakings - 19 months
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 06:19:19 am »
Hi there, hugs it’s tough isn’t it. My eldest was an EW and nothing I did fixed it he just gradually grew out of it.
My thoughts would be that the day needs to be longer, and that the wakes may be from being a little UT, with an 1.5 nap which I think at this age is needed most have a 13 hour day.

Other thoughts are 18 month SR like you’ve said, it could be that’s it’s just coincided with other stuff, SA can peak at this age too, teeth coming in and language exploding.
Zoe

Offline Lilo's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 12:15:38 pm »
Zoe, this is actually super helpful, as one of my doubts was about awake times. She has been sleeping one hour during the day because I ask the nanny to wake her at the hour mark (I work so she stays with the nanny).
I will try an earlier WU time and a later BT for a few days and keep the nap capped at 1 h to see if it improves.
THANKS!!! :D

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Multiple night wakings - 19 months
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 18:58:57 pm »
No problem, it’s all about the tweaking 😁
Zoe