Author Topic: Ditching the dummy  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 17, 2018, 18:31:41 pm »
Despite appearing like we had gotten off to a good start when we stopped the dummy in Monday, each night has gotten worse and we’re having ewu’s again 🤦‍♀️
Any words of support greatly appreciated before I give in to my stress and anxiety and give it back!! (I won’t, just saying it) 😳

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Ditching the dummy
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 09:52:58 am »
I’m going to ask why you feel the need to give it up?  Before I can offer support in giving it up understanding you reasons need to come into play.

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 17:39:00 pm »
Sorry, I should’ve said. She’s 3 now and the dentist was concerned about her teeth x

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 06:40:41 am »
I think at 3 it's about the conversations that go with it. Explaining why & coming up with a plan  & maybe needs  a new comfort item eg a soft toy.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 17:57:49 pm »
We did all that hun, she has a new build a bear with her chosen dummy inside. I think it’s coincided with an ewu phase so double whammy. Also moving into pre school so lots of changes. Just got to ride the storm I think 🤦‍♀️

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 21:56:33 pm »
I think it’s coincided with an ewu phase so double whammy. Also moving into pre school so lots of changes.

Probably too much for a 3yo... that's kind of like losing a best friend & moving country in the adult world, so probably not the best of timing. 

I find all too often with health professionals the mental health side is often forgotten & I guess I was fortunate my Dentist is married to a psychologist & so he was very mindful of timing to help me help my boys get rid of their sucking items... interestingly one has great teeth & the other had problems (& almost finished orthodontics) but the Orthodontist also said it wasn't the Dummy, but Ear and Nose issues (genetic) causing mouth breathing, which all occurred as he got his adult teeth. 

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 06:34:46 am »
I know it wasn’t the best timing but to be fair she’s never been a dummy obsessive and it was an opportunity as we’d already discussed it going lots and then chatted about the dentist etc. She’s never been unsettled going to sleep without it, maybe just taking 5 mins or so to go to sleep. Proof she isn’t bothered about her dummy a week later, she didn’t even want to take the new bear to bed 🤦‍♀️😂, she’s even not that fussed about her muslin cloth, but she’s never ever been attached to just one thing, which has probably made it easier.
She is quite sensitive to changes but we tend to just stay as consistent as possible with everything else and she soon gets back on track. Her wake ups have been later these last 2 days which makes her a happier camper. It will all settle and then it will be Christmas and it all goes wrong again 😂😂😂