Author Topic: EASY out the window because not feeding in the morning!  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Saveupallthedays

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
EASY out the window because not feeding in the morning!
« on: August 13, 2018, 22:00:08 pm »
Hi brains trust,
DS is EBF and 3 mo tomorrow and up to about two weeks ago was on a very regular 3 hourly EASY regimen. The main issue I had at that time was he was such a fussy sleeper he was in the carrier or sling all day until bed time and that his periods of wakefulness seemed quite short (Max might be 50min). He also catnaps but could be coaxed back into another 45min catnap after waking in the carrier.

Over the last two weeks things are all over the shop. Some days the 3hrly EASY is fine (first feed at 7am), but fairly often he refuses his 7am feed. When this happens he usually tires after about 20min of being awake then he gets put to sleep. After his first catnap, I reoffer and he will sometimes feed then but not always. Then same thing again, wakeful but not particularly active period then back to sleep and reoffer. Twice in about a week he went literally 6-7 hours without a feed in the morning (yesterday fed at 7am and didn't feed again until almost 2am). I was so worried I took him to the GP who said he looked well and was happy with his weight gain. He isn't particularly fussy when awake and his nappies are reasonable, slightly lighter on the days he goes a long period without morning feeds. He is usually fed twice overnight at around 1am and 4am so most days has 7 feeds per day.

The main thing that has changed is my body couldn't hack carrying a baby all day every day so he's now being swaddled and put down in his cot for most of his day catnaps.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? How am I meant to manage an EASY routine with him when his morning feeds are this erratic? Thanks in advance!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: EASY out the window because not feeding in the morning!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 22:48:11 pm »
Hi, sorry you haven't had reply yet.

How are things now?

It's very common for breastfed babies to go through periods of erratic feeding.  Current guidance is to feed on demand when baby wants.  It's not uncommon to have a routine more like AEAEAS, especially at this age when they have a growth spurt so need to feed regularly but A times are lengthening.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011