Author Topic: Sleep fixing after vacation  (Read 1340 times)

Offline dache

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Sleep fixing after vacation
« on: August 20, 2018, 14:11:59 pm »
We came back from vacation a week ago and dd2 is sleeping very poorly, bt and naps are very hard because she is fighting sleep HARD! That girl has a voice and lets me know she is not a happy camper.

While on vacation I tired but not hard to follow her schedule and there were lots of time when she fell asleep nursing at the beach, in the stroller and in my arms while we were coming back from evening walk for her bt.

I had to do pu/pd once before and it took me two naps to get things back to normal. This time she is really not having it and it`s hard for me because I have issues with crying (or as I say ptsd from the first months with dd1 lol ), also I am in the middle of exam season, have dd1 home because she is not going to preschool and dh is away.

I tried pu/pd and I got the feeling it was making things worse. I know crying is normal, but this time is different, like she`s scared upset. Atm I am sitting next to her with my hand on her and talking to her. It works sometimes but sometimes she gets so upset I have to take her and go to a different room, maybe feed her and start wind down again.

This off course messes her whole day and easy is not non existent.
She wakes around 5-6 I feed her she falls back to sleep until 7-8.
Breakfast.
I try for a nap 9-10 but it can go until 11, or even 12. Naps lentgh vary.
Then feed, than lunch.
Again, nap how knows when (today I tried putting her at 2.30, it`s almost 4 and I had to feed her to sleep). Dinner, bath. Bt goes a bit smoother I guess because I feed her before bed, but still there is struggle.
At night she wakes every 2-3 hours.

Should I wait to sleep train when things are more settled, which will probably be around in 2-3 weeks? I worry if I wait things will get worse and how will I get her to sleep until then? If I do, what method do I chose?

Offline Moon92

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 23:32:23 pm »
How old is she ? I had a hard time coming back from vacation with my 8 month old, 9 hours jet lag and teeth coming and separation anxiety and a cold...
She would go ok on bedtime but wake up 6 times per night...We waited 10 days, no more cold, tooth came out and moved her to her room (she was waking up anyway...), I moved with her, we waited another 10 days to give time with growth spurt and developmental leap and getting used to her room, she was still waking up to 8 times per night, actually it was even worse than before, only nursing would calm her and she was fighting sleep (and us) all night. We started pu/pd and since the first day it got better. We are now at 3 wakings per nights, 2 nursing sessions, she is not fighting us anymore and today is the 4th day, so hopefully less wakings tonight. Her naps which were good got disrupted though, but we are working on it.

Offline dache

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Re: Sleep fixing after vacation
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 12:33:58 pm »
She is 8 months old. She might be teething as well. I rub gel on her gums. Yesterday she was fighting bt and I gave her a quick bath. She went down easy after that.
I think her being VERY spirited also might have to do with it.
I`ve used pu/pd before with her and it work, but it seems to get her more upset this time. I`m focusing on not missing her sleep cues, more hugs near sleep times, and pray. :)

Offline Moon92

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 17:45:57 pm »
For us, I noticed that a day or two after we started she would like to be held a little bit more before being put down, so I would hold her a little bit longer right next to her crib before putting her down and it worked amazing ! the couple of time before she was screaming and crying and fighting and when I held her a little bit longer, enough for her to settle  and start gazing then she went very quietly to bed and turn to put herself in position to sleep. First time and second time I would say shh shh / a little song when in my arms then the next time nothing and by the next day or two we would not need this anymore, she would settle right away in her crib. But for naps we still need shh pat pat when I put her down, If I do it immediately as I put her down she  sleeps very fast if I don't she become upset but I don't need to pick her up anymore just sshh pat pat does the trick. 8