Author Topic: 18 month old suddenly fighting nap  (Read 1300 times)

Offline mrsroberts4

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 31, 2018, 12:23:41 pm »
18 month old used to be okay at naps...

Then we moved him to a new room and cot and he cried when we left the room... taking 15-20 mins to go to sleep.
Routine was:
6.45am wake
12/12.15pm nap
2.30pm wake
7.00pm bed the sleeps through

Now, in the past week he's been fighting the nap so hard... to the point where one day he fought all the way through! With a mix of crying, playing, rippingoff blackout blinds etc.
If we go anywhere in the car he'll probably fall asleep around 11.30 so I tried that nap time today and we had:

6.30am wake
11.40am put down for nap (cries plays etc)
1.15pm falls asleep

I'm so confused!!
What does your 18 month olds nap like? Long A time in the morning? In the afternoon?

I had a baby nearly 4 weeks ago and I know the regression happens around this time but I didnt think they wwre connected. I feel like i have his schedule wrong. :(

I don't think he is dropping his nap as the day he had no nap, he woke up in the night as a nightmare!

Any insight would be gratefully received!!

Thank you!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 18 month old suddenly fighting nap
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 19:05:51 pm »
Hey there it could be the 18 month SR, I’d try later nap or just do car/buggy naps and see if it passes after a few weeks!?
Zoe

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 18 month old suddenly fighting nap
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 22:07:22 pm »
Sound like a bit of a perfect storm. 18mo sleep regression, massive change in moving room & cot plus having a new baby sibling.  Did he sleep in the same room as you before the baby, as that will be a massive change, probably equivalent in the adult world to moving house and city, without the ability to understand the changes. 

How much support do you give him to settle to sleep, does he have you there with a very set routine, At his age, the pre-nap routine will be a large part of it. Consistency with the pattern from at least 30mins before & calming activities.

A lot of his fighting will be because he's working out how to adjust to all the changes that have occurred particularly going from being the baby to not the baby & having to share you.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05