Author Topic: Too much formula in 24 hours  (Read 3619 times)

Offline mbaz

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 04, 2018, 20:21:53 pm »
Hi All,

My LO is 14 weeks old. I have been following the 4-hour EASY (including dreamfeed) as, per his weight, the formula recommend 5 feeds per day (6oz each).
The last 2 weeks he has been waking at 4am and nothing else will get him down except a bottle and he will take a full 6oz.

I am really concerned that i am overfeeding him, but do not know what else to do to help him through the night. Any suggestions please?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Too much formula in 24 hours
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 20:51:43 pm »
Hi and welcome!

Don't worry about what the box says, be guided by your baby. Is he draining the 6oz bottles? If he is then you need to add more oz of formula. With a bottle fed baby, once they are draining bottles it's a sign that you need to increase the bottle size for them. There should be enough in the bottle so that they can stop when they are full and not just because the bottle is empty so there should be a little left in the bottle at the end of a feed.

There is a big growth spurt around 4 months, so if you increase day time bottles he may not wake for a feed during the night. However it's totally normal for a baby to need at least 1 feed during the night until they are established on solids.

Hope that helps!

Laura

Offline mbaz

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 12:50:14 pm »
I think you could be right. I just started on 7oz bottles today and he is just about finishing them, i think i probably should have moved up earlier.

Thank you! ;D

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Too much formula in 24 hours
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 16:11:59 pm »
No worries!!

All babies are different which is why the formula box is just a rough guide. Babies very rarely over eat, they are much better at regulating their intake than we are!

See how things go and come back if you need to!

Laura